lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-14-2011, 07:40 PM   #1
andystmichael
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Question Changing 8 volts for 12 volts

Hi Guys;
I was talking to a fellow at the park and he told me that he replaced his 6, 8 volt deep cycle cart batteries for 4, 12 deep cycle marine batteries. He said it was about half the replacement cost. Now I may have to change my batteries in the next year or two, and I started thinking about the 12 volt idea. I know there must be a difference between the two types of batteries, but the lad I was talking to said he couldn't tell the difference. Does anyone out there know the pros and cons of converting to marine batteries?
Thanks for all of your input
Andy
andystmichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-14-2011, 08:28 PM   #2
Seastar
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: Changing 8 volts for 12 volts

Not sure if I'm qualified to answer, but here is my $.02 worth. The presedent is going back to 6x8volt batteries because of the lack of run time with 4x12s .I was told that the voltage may be the same, but the amperage is where the difference is, and that the greater the weight of the battery pack, the more lead in the batteries, therefore the longer the run time. As far as I know, there is a battery tray conversion tray to switch from 4x12 to 6x8.
Seastar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 08:28 PM   #3
scubabud
Ban Puppy Mills & Stores!

Club Car

Simplest terms...
More lead equals more run time. 6 8 volts have more lead then 4 12 volts. CC changed their Precedents from 4 12's to 6 8's for good reason. They even make a kit for changing it over from 4 12's to 6 8's.

Bottom line... don't do it
scubabud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 08:36 PM   #4
Colbyntx
Gone Wild

Club Car

The 6X8 v setup is so much better. The boat batteries are made for boats! They will not take you as far and will be shot in a couple of years. So, see what 3 sets of 4X12v boat batteries cost vs 1 set of 6X8v cart batteries cost. If you use your cart every week, you will be very upset with the boat batteries!
Colbyntx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 09:23 PM   #5
andystmichael
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Wink Re: Changing 8 volts for 12 volts

Hi Guys;
Thanks for the info. As I said before, I don't know much about these carts and how they work yet, but I am trying. With my 48 volt Club car, how many hours or minutes should I get from a full charge before I have to recharge. I don't golf. I just tour the trailer park, go to the beach and zip down to the docks. Five minutes here and there. Do I really have to recharge after every trip????
Would I mess things up if I just plugged it in at the end of each day? Or am I looking for for trouble? Can I interrupt a charge to go for a little rip?
So many questions. So many headaches.
Thanks for the help and info.
Andy
Old 10-14-2011, 09:33 PM   #6
andystmichael
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

I guess for piece of mind in the future, I will stick with the setup of 6 X 8. Why go looking for trouble. It can find me all by itself.
Thanks again guys.
Andy
Old 10-14-2011, 09:47 PM   #7
Seastar
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by andystmichael View Post
I guess for piece of mind in the future, I will stick with the setup of 6 X 8. Why go looking for trouble. It can find me all by itself.
Thanks again guys.
Andy
Hi Andy, I was in your neighbourhood for Thanksgiving. Ottawa anyways.
John
Seastar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 09:55 PM   #8
ejtodd1
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Hi Guys,
I'm a newbie too, but I went for the 4 x 12 because of cost. I use it as a neighborhood cart with my kids and so far no problems. I got the batteries at Sam's club for 75.00 each, 65.00 if I had a core. Plus I have space for an extra 12 volt battery for Halloween lights with a inverter etc. However, it's only been a month. I'll keep you posted.
ejtodd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 07:54 AM   #9
Colbyntx
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by andystmichael View Post
Hi Guys;
Thanks for the info. As I said before, I don't know much about these carts and how they work yet, but I am trying. With my 48 volt Club car, how many hours or minutes should I get from a full charge before I have to recharge. I don't golf. I just tour the trailer park, go to the beach and zip down to the docks. Five minutes here and there. Do I really have to recharge after every trip????
Would I mess things up if I just plugged it in at the end of each day? Or am I looking for for trouble? Can I interrupt a charge to go for a little rip?
So many questions. So many headaches.
Thanks for the help and info.
Andy
Andy,

You should plug it into the charger every night when you drive it durring the day. It is best to always let the charger finish a charge before you unplug it and go for a ride. We all have had times when we need the cart durring a charge and have used the thing but don't do it unless you really need the cart. I would save away the money all winter and get your new batteries in the spring since you have a big winter comming. You will be much happier in the long run with good golf cart batteries.
Colbyntx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 08:03 AM   #10
erict
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejtodd1 View Post
Hi Guys,
I'm a newbie too, but I went for the 4 x 12 because of cost. I use it as a neighborhood cart with my kids and so far no problems. I got the batteries at Sam's club for 75.00 each, 65.00 if I had a core. Plus I have space for an extra 12 volt battery for Halloween lights with a inverter etc. However, it's only been a month. I'll keep you posted.
What type of batteries......I bet they are not golf cart ones at that price
erict is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car