lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-19-2012, 09:04 AM   #11
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Do I need new batteries?

Quote:
Originally Posted by simple man View Post
It's current flows from + to - instead of - to +!
Technically, "Current" flow is from + to -.
It is "Electron" flow that is from - to +.

Ever notice the arrows on diodes and transistors point against the way the electrons move?
Back in the days of Leyden jars and the like, the early electricity pioneers decided current flowed from + to - and the definition stuck even though it was later discover that electrons move from - to +.

However, the distinction is more or less a moot point since it really doesn't matter which way electrical energy travels as long as it gets there and back between load and source.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-19-2012, 09:18 AM   #12
Gonkulor
Astronautilator

E-Z-GO

JohnnieB, that is biggest hangup I've ever had with electricity. Those dang diodes and which way the bars go. Couldn't they have just changed the way the bars got printed on the units? I always have to remind myself that yes the bars seem backwards but if you think of the electrons it's really forwards..... grrrr.

Off my soap box and back to the thread
Gonkulor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 02:06 PM   #13
BuggyGoodie
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

The other four batteries usually run at 5.5 and never drop below 4.5 or higher.
Thank you.
BuggyGoodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 02:11 PM   #14
BuggyGoodie
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by simple man View Post
The ones that read 3V's are shot! What do your other ones show during the same conditions? If they will charge and pass the load test, you can probably get two to replace the bad ones.
This must be the simple answer; the under performing batteries are - despite their age - must be replaced. Thanks
Old 01-19-2012, 02:13 PM   #15
BuggyGoodie
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by pggroves View Post
Sounds to me like those two batteries have shorted cells. Since new enough you may get a prorated discount on replacement. Just know that the two new replacements will soon be just like the remaining four.

I'm assuming you've checked all the usual suspects in cables, connections, electrolyte levels, etc. etc.

You could plug in a 12v battery temporarily (for testing) to see if the two offending batteries are indeed the issue but it sure sounds like it to me...

Good luck.
Thanks. You bring up a very good point, it seems to me. Of course, it has already been established that I don't know what I'm talking about, but I will add that these are the first and last batteries in the series.
Old 01-19-2012, 02:17 PM   #16
BuggyGoodie
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Sounds to me like those two batteries have shorted cells. Since new enough you may get a prorated discount on replacement. Just know that the two new replacements will soon be just like the remaining four.

I'm assuming you've checked all the usual suspects in cables, connections, electrolyte levels, etc. etc.

You could plug in a 12v battery temporarily (for testing) to see if the two offending batteries are indeed the issue but it sure sounds like it to me...

Good luck.
Old 01-19-2012, 03:16 PM   #17
BuggyGoodie
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
I want to know, metaphysically speaking, what does an immoral battery do?
I have sole discretion over the definition of immorality as it concerns these particular batteries. Their sin is blatant and unrepentant betrayal of trust. (Arrogant enough? I think so. Just about too arrogant to even joke about. But humor is an experiment, eh?)
Old 01-19-2012, 05:22 PM   #18
pggroves
steeplejack x

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuggyGoodie View Post
The other four batteries usually run at 5.5 and never drop below 4.5 or higher.
Thank you.
These are problems too I fear. Can you record and post each individual battery voltage several hours (8-12) after completing a full charge cycle?
pggroves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 01:22 PM   #19
BuggyGoodie
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
These are problems too I fear. Can you record and post each individual battery voltage several hours (8-12) after completing a full charge cycle?
Boy, you guys are good.
All batteries report 6.1 to 6.3 Volts after charging under no load. The two bad batteries do, too.
I know you said "8-12" hours, but it has been 14 hours. After that the bad batteries report a healthy 6.1 and 6.3 at rest. I don't know what that means.
Thanks, again.
Old 01-20-2012, 01:31 PM   #20
bigstik40
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Also, I think a total (pack) voltage while under charge might be helpful to determine that the charger is outputting a proper voltage. I'm thinking voltage should be in the neighborhood of 42 volts or higher at that time. Just a thought in order to eliminate the charger as the problem. Good luck - RAY
bigstik40 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
champion cpgc-110, e-z go, ezgo
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO