lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-27-2013, 08:31 PM   #1
msb304
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Power converter question

I just installed a 36v to 12v 15 amp power converter. Horn works fine, radio works fine. When I turn the lights on, with everything else on or off, there is a 6 to 7 second delay before the lights come on. The lights are (2) 55w fogs, (2) 5 led tail lights. Is the delay normal or is there a problem or something I am missing?
msb304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-27-2013, 09:14 PM   #2
Thatsme?
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: Power converter question

Sounds like you need the electrical guys. Good Luck
Thatsme? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 09:16 PM   #3
crash test dummy

is there a delay with lights only ?
i have not seen any delay but the one i installed was 30amp
Old 10-27-2013, 10:46 PM   #4
msb304
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

yes. lights only. and batteries are fully charged.
Old 10-28-2013, 06:31 AM   #5
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Your two 55W incandescent bulb in parallel will draw a little less than10A once their filaments reach their operating temperature, but their cold resistance is only about 1/15 of their hot resistance, so they will attempt to draw somewhere in the neighborhood of 150A when they are first turned on.

My guess is that your 36v to 12V converter is limiting the max amps to about 15A, so it is taking the filaments several seconds to reach operating temperature rather than the normal 0.5 seconds or less.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 12:13 PM   #6
msb304
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

So, if I understand correctly, everything is ok? I just wanted to be sure I wasn't missing anything or causing a problem with the converter. It is just that I had never heard of this time delay before from any other installations.
Old 10-28-2013, 01:52 PM   #7
jakesnake27
Gone Wild

I had this exact same problem on my first cart. I installed two 55w headlights as well as a cheapo 10 amp reducer (didn't know any better at the time).
I would pull the switch and I would hear a series of clicks then the lights would turn on. It was because like JohnnieB said, the lights pull more than 10 amps until they get warmed up, so it made the reducer click and there was a delay until they lit up. On my cart now I have Scottyb's 30 amp reducer and have no problems at all...
jakesnake27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 07:04 PM   #8
tteckster
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakesnake27 View Post
I had this exact same problem on my first cart. I installed two 55w headlights as well as a cheapo 10 amp reducer (didn't know any better at the time).
I would pull the switch and I would hear a series of clicks then the lights would turn on. It was because like JohnnieB said, the lights pull more than 10 amps until they get warmed up, so it made the reducer click and there was a delay until they lit up. On my cart now I have Scottyb's 30 amp reducer and have no problems at all...
I hear ya! $8.00 vs $90.00 I'm still running a cheapo!

Last edited by tteckster; 10-28-2013 at 07:06 PM.. Reason: Cheapo link
tteckster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 05:31 AM   #9
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by msb304 View Post
So, if I understand correctly, everything is ok? I just wanted to be sure I wasn't missing anything or causing a problem with the converter. It is just that I had never heard of this time delay before from any other installations.
I don't know if everything is okay or not, I just explained why the delay is happening.

Since the converter is still working after turning on the lights a couple of times, my guess is that it will probably continue to work.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 10:42 AM   #10
simple man
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Bad news is that when those "cheapos" fail, they usually overvoltage the output! This means blown lights and radio! This has happened to two people I know. They got converters on Ebay that were about $12. I'd personally stay away from the "cheapies"!
simple man is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO