lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-12-2014, 10:01 AM   #1
FLgatorgirl
Not Yet Wild

Default Need to Speed Up Slow DS

We purchased a lifted 04 DS yesterday and from just looking up the serial number, I understand it is a non IQ model. It seems very slow in comparison to my mostly stock Precedent. It has brand new batteries and we were told it takes some time to break them in and get the cart up to full speed. It also was not fully charged when we drove it yesterday.

As newbies, we made the assumption that it was a simple program flash to change the speed on the cart and it looks like that is only IQ carts if I understand correctly. We purchased from an older gentleman who does this as a hobby and he was not familiar with speed changes. In reading through the forums, I am seeing threads about changing out wires and maybe the controller, but also reading about magnets on the internet. I guess my questions are, should we really expect it to speed up much when the batteries are broken in? Does the stock controller typically get burned up when the cart has been lifted? What is the most economical way to get more reasonable speed out of the cart?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg golfcart.jpg (59.4 KB, 0 views)
FLgatorgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-12-2014, 10:40 AM   #2
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Need to Speed Up Slow DS

Series carts make more torque than speed. If you replace the controller, the solenoid, the forward and reverse switch, all the cables, in the motor, you will get to 25 mph. A better cart for speed would be a Sepex drive cart like the IQ or the PDS.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 11:03 AM   #3
FLgatorgirl
Not Yet Wild

Scottyb,

Thanks for the reply. We don't need to go 25mph, but maybe 15-18 would be a compromise. This is a second cart and will stay at our "fish camp" so we cannot justify putting too much $ in it. Just trying to determine what to expect as it sits right now and if there is a less costly way to make some changes. I will try to use the GPS today, but it seems like it might be doing 10mph. Does that sound right?

Obviously, we should have looked into it a bit more before purchasing and not just gone mostly on aesthetics and price.
Old 03-12-2014, 11:21 AM   #4
FLgatorgirl
Not Yet Wild

Just ran GPS on both carts and they are both at 14mph top speed although my Precedent does not like to hold that speed. So, maybe the batteries on the DS were not at full charge yesterday or the Precedent just seems faster lower to the ground. Would still like to get a few more miles per hour out of the DS if there are any small changes we can make that would help. Also, a local dealer told me the lift will probably burn up the controller?
Old 03-12-2014, 12:36 PM   #5
jakesnake27
Gone Wild

A lifted cart really needs an upgraded controller (higher amperage) to turn the bigger tires and produce more torque. So it could potentially fry the stock controller under high stress situations, for example going up a long steep hill.
jakesnake27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 12:58 PM   #6
FLgatorgirl
Not Yet Wild

Jakesnake,

Thanks. Little chance of any hills, we are in Florida and it is flat as a pancake. This cart will be down in the Everglades and probably always on pavement, definitely all flat. It will not get a ton of use and definitely not be driven hard.
Old 03-12-2014, 01:47 PM   #7
joesam
Gone Wild
Club Car

Based on the most recent string of speed related threads on this forum - the most economical quick & affordable upgrade for a stock cart is the Bandit motor swap/upgrade from Plum Quick. You'll see lots of references to them within these threads (and they are a site sponsor).
joesam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 02:03 PM   #8
FLgatorgirl
Not Yet Wild

joesam--

Thanks, I actually tried to call them earlier today but did not get an answer. I will try again. Good to know that the forum considers that to be a good option for more speed. We are just really new at this and getting a lot of conflicting info locally. I don't want to spend a bunch of money to be disappointed or to damage anything.
Old 03-12-2014, 04:52 PM   #9
joesam
Gone Wild
Club Car

No problem - remember I did say "stock" so no big wheels 'cause then you'd start to strain your controller and the dollar spiral might start up. Anything nearing 18 mph (which is about as good as you'd get with the upgrade) feels pretty fast in a golf cart.

Edit: Just re-read your original post - you did say lifted, but didn't mention tire size...you might want to be real specific with the folks at Plum Quick so they know what you'll be running.
joesam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 05:57 PM   #10
FLgatorgirl
Not Yet Wild

joesam--

Will do. I will find out our tire and wheel size and be sure to let them know. Thanks for the help.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car