lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-29-2014, 10:30 AM   #11
DOOmsman
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Default Re: G2 & G1 clutch spring

Remember the g1 spins both ways.
DOOmsman is online now   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-29-2014, 02:58 PM   #12
Cvans
Gone Wild

Yamaha

My thought is to not use the holes but shave off the tips on the spring and install it into the G1 clutch. Unfortunately the G2 clutch was run too long without the the nylon ramp shoes and the ramps are damaged.
Cvans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 07:14 PM   #13
smallblock450sl
Sometime's............

Yamaha

My 2 cents worth may be long, but bear with me. First, G1's don't have much torque, so the use a "stiffer" secondary spring and useually an exhaust valve to help. Yamaha 4 cycles have better torque and the "tanged" secondary spring with "preload" would alow for a good take off/acceleration with the gearing in the transaxle/primary clutch weighting and stock belt. With all the torque you have in that engine, I agree with the other members, you don't need a "stiff" spring or a stronger preload.
smallblock450sl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 08:36 PM   #14
Cvans
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Thanks guys for your input. Hopefully I will get a chance to try it out tomorrow and let you now how it worked.
Old 05-01-2014, 03:40 PM   #15
Cvans
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Talking Re: G2 & G1 clutch spring

Was feeling well enough to work on the cart today. Replaced the G1 clutch spring with the G2 spring. Boy what a difference. It now pulls like a mule from start until it tops out at 19 mph.
Before it would accelerate quickly to about 10mph and then it was a long slow process getting up to top speed. Now you punch it and it doesn't quit pulling. This is what I was hoping for. Makes great use of the diesels torque
Thanks for your input!
Old 05-03-2014, 09:57 AM   #16
copperhead1971
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOOmsman View Post
Remember the g1 spins both ways.
also it is a 2 stroke not a 4,higher rpm as well for the g1 engine
copperhead1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 02:19 PM   #17
Field6565
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cvans View Post
Was feeling well enough to work on the cart today. Replaced the G1 clutch spring with the G2 spring. Boy what a difference. It now pulls like a mule from start until it tops out at 19 mph.
Before it would accelerate quickly to about 10mph and then it was a long slow process getting up to top speed. Now you punch it and it doesn't quit pulling. This is what I was hoping for. Makes great use of the diesels torque
Thanks for your input!
Glad to hear you got it worked out. Did you put some preload on the spring or did you just cut the tips off of the spring and install it?
Field6565 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 04:38 PM   #18
Cvans
Gone Wild

Yamaha

I just cut the tips off and and ground them smooth so they could slide. Seems to work fine.
Just so you know, the aluminum face on the drive clutch was pretty worn on this clutch. Figured there was nothing to loose so I put it in the lathe and resurfaced it. Seems to work real well. Just another option to purchasing more parts if yours is getting worn. I wouldn't take too much material off though.
Old 05-04-2014, 07:23 PM   #19
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

The alum sheaves eventually wear through and get holes in them.

The springs in secondary work in two ways. The length puts a static pressure on the belt, the preload (twist for the 4 stroke versions) puts a load on the ramps. More preload will raise rpm when at part throttle. More static pressure tends to raise rpm at low speeds and part throttle. At full throttle the ramps tend to control shifting and it goes to the full rpm the primary weights are set for. With a diesel you may want to experiment with making the weights heavier to cut rpm some (in the primary).

The G1 can't have preload because it turns in both directions, it hits the ramps on both sides. So instead they use a stronger static spring. You will notice a 4 stroke will run lower rpm at part throttle and still run the same high rpm at WOT as a G1....because it has a weaker spring with preload. The G1 actually does run about the same rpm as G2/9 does, at least a stock one will.

The umax is a yamaha utility spring, made for carts that carry 6 people or big coolers around, etc. I have one it is longer and larger wire. It is harder to install lol, it kicks up rpm at low speeds and about half way to max speed it returns to work similar to stock spring. So my 22 tire cart will shift about the same as stock over maybe 15-20mph, under that it will hold more rpm under any condition except WOT where it is same as stock far as I can tell. With a clone engine I really don't need the help now, but it does make it more responsive. Also my clone will knock with cheap gas at low rpm, but a new primary will fix that. Anyway, the umax works awesome on the trails.

The lighter stock G2/9 spring gives you less rpm at part throttle, so at say steady 10mph it makes less noise and takes less fuel (like on a GC)...but runs the same WOT as another spring would. It will take a couple seconds to shift back if you come to a hill and gas hard on it, while the umax will jump to it faster because it loafs at 2500 not 1500.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 11:48 PM   #20
Cvans
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Lots of good information SHO. Thanks for taking the time to post it.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha