lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-27-2014, 08:21 PM   #1
robbiescd
Getting Wild
Club Car

Default 1994 Gas EZ Go Won't run

Posted this problem a couple of weeks ago and never received any suggestions. Posting again to see if anyone can help out.

I have a 1994 Gas EZGO with the Robin engine in it. Customer brought it to me saying it wouldn't run.

I checked the spark plugs (as well as changed them), grounded to manifold and see spark. Cleaned carb and re-installed. Changed out the igniter with a new one. Verified all wiring is correctly wired. Checked valve tappets and all within spec (.005).

I did notice that the oil under the valve cover smelled a little "gassy", so I changed the oil. May have, at one time, had a needle valve stuck...who knows or it was over choked.

Coil seems to be ok as well as pulsar. Timing belt visually inspected and seems to be in good shape. (Can't take timing cover off due to clutch and really don't want to remove body to remove clutch!). Visually watched the valves cycle through so I don't think timing is an issue.

Any ideas out there??????? At a total loss and have no idea what to inform the customer. I do have a new coil ordered, but it's on back-order.

Thanks!
robbiescd is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-27-2014, 08:22 PM   #2
robbiescd
Getting Wild
Club Car

Default Re: 1994 Gas EZ Go Won't run

And forgot to mention one of the first questions that will be asked....I did check compression on each cylinder and getting a reading of 145-150 on each.
Old 05-27-2014, 08:28 PM   #3
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

If you spray some starter fluid in the intake while turning over what happens? If it fires, disconnect the fuel line at the carb and see if it is pumping fuel. If yes, clean the carb. If no, take off the gas cap and gently pressurize the tank to pump some fuel in the carb. If it kicks then, bad fuel pump or blocked pulse tube.
kgsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 10:32 AM   #4
93 marathon
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

check valve adjustments, mine gets really hard to start every couple of months. i just adjust the valves and it runs fine again..other than that, determine if its losing fuel or air. if it has set up for awhile, check for dirt dobbers in the exhaust.....let us know what you find..
93 marathon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 07:32 PM   #5
robbiescd
Getting Wild
Club Car

kgsc.....Starter fluid does absolutely nothing. Won't hit a lick. Fuel line and pump are fine. Replaced all gas lines and it pumps gas out just fine. I would definitely look into a new carb if it fired with starter fluid, but it doesn't. However, I did clean the carb, just in case.

93 marathon.....Cart actually died while the customer was playing golf. Said it "slowly" died. Had to be towed to the clubhouse. I did check valves and adjusted. I believe to .005? Didn't actually look for clogged exhaust, but did put brick on accelerator and put hand over exhaust and had good exhaust coming out.

Waiting for a coil to come in and see if that's the issue. Other than that, the only think left is the pulsar. I'm at a complete loss on this one. Even found a wiring diagram for the cart and checked and rechecked all the wiring. It's all fine.

Any other suggestions are welcome! This one has me stumped!
Old 05-29-2014, 07:43 PM   #6
1989Marathon
Gone Wild

If you have sufficient spark at the plugs, the ignition components are doing their job. Compression numbers tell me that the valves are doing their job. Have you checked to see if the timing is accurate?
1989Marathon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 09:33 PM   #7
robbiescd
Getting Wild
Club Car

1989.....I have not visually checked timing. I don't have a clutch puller for EZGO...mainly work on club car stuff and have all that. I'd have to pull clutch off to see timing marks (I think.....). I did take cover bolts off and just "inspected" the belt and it didn't seem as though it was frayed or looked like it had jumped any teeth.

But again...the customer stated that it this was a slow progression. Stated that it got to where it would turn over, but wouldn't crank. The he tried just barely pushing the accelerator and it would turn over, crank and run. This happened for quite some time, until one day it just wouldn't fire.

I would like to eliminate the timing issue, but are the symptoms the customer describe indicative of a timing issue? It "slowly" stopped running?

Going to the big city of Baton Rouge tomorrow. May pick up a clutch puller.

Can you remove the clutch without removing body/motor?
Old 05-30-2014, 07:27 AM   #8
1989Marathon
Gone Wild

Also make sure the air intake tract is clear and correct.
1989Marathon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 08:46 AM   #9
93 marathon
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

I agree with 89, if you have gas and spark, must be air.
93 marathon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 09:07 PM   #10
robbiescd
Getting Wild
Club Car

I can take airbox off the front of the carb, take the nuts used to hold the airbox on carb and tighten down carb. So your actually looking at the choke butterfly, but everything is tight.....unrestricted air flow. Turn the motor over, spray starter fluid directly into carb and nothing.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO