lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-15-2014, 06:24 PM   #11
kojo
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: PDS not fast

I said earlier that it doesn't explain why he's only getting 12mph. I know torque motors aren't made for speed but, with the 8:1 gears it should be going faster than that.
kojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-15-2014, 06:33 PM   #12
kojo
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Can two wires be crossed to cause the slower speed?
Old 11-15-2014, 07:15 PM   #13
sportcoupe
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

You may have a "torque motor" but at 1400 rpm, it is running much less then it's rated rpm at 48v. I would start by checking the obvious.

1) Are the brakes dragging?

2) Are you getting a solid green LED on the Alltrax?

3) Are you getting 100% throttle to the Alltrax? You should be getting an amber/yellow LED on the DCX indicating 100% throttle.

4) What are the individual and total battery pack voltages under load?

5) Wrong field map loaded.
sportcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 08:41 PM   #14
kojo
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Sportcoupe, I'll give him a call and see if he's checked those things or not. I know from last night the green light goes to a solid when powered up, I noticed that but, we didn't jack it up and check for it turning to amber. Thanks bud.
Old 11-16-2014, 08:43 AM   #15
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by kojo View Post
JohnnieB, it has 23" tires and I'm pretty sure it's a sepex motor. Can you put a series motor in a PDAS cart and run it w/o changing anything else? And, would that cause it to run so slow? The owner didn't give my buddy another field map to put in it so, it has the #4 map in it now. My buddy went in the program last night and checked some stuff in it and changed a couple of things.
Yes, but it will most likely be very slow and there is a high probability of taking out the controller with continued use.

If the studs on the motor housing are smaller that the studs on the end cap, it might be a sepex motor. (Look at the studs on the burnt out PDS motor)
If the studs on the motor housing are labeled F1 and F2, it might be a sepex motor.
To be sure, pull the motor and look at the field windings. (Post a picture)

-----------
Field map 4 is what I use with my high speed aftermarket motor, but a high torque sepex will probably work better with a different field map. For for optimal performance and minimum motor heating, the field map has to be matched to the motor being used. However, right or wrong, the field map isn't very likely to be the sole reason the cart will only do 12 MPH.

----------

Has anyone checked for worn through insulation of the F1/F2 cables?
Has anyone checked the Throttle signal? (10V pedal up - 6V pedal down)
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 02:19 PM   #16
kojo
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

JohnnieB, we actually talked the other night about it being the wrong motor. I didn't ever make it over to his house last night so, I don't know if he checked it or not. As for the wires, they seem to look ok, although the owner at sometime put 2awg wires everywhere but the one going from the 3rd to 4th batt., it's still 6awg.. I've never checked a cart's throttle signal and I don't know if he has or not. So whenever you do that, are you checking the ITS or micro switch?
Old 11-16-2014, 03:38 PM   #17
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by kojo View Post
JohnnieB, we actually talked the other night about it being the wrong motor. I didn't ever make it over to his house last night so, I don't know if he checked it or not. As for the wires, they seem to look ok, although the owner at sometime put 2awg wires everywhere but the one going from the 3rd to 4th batt., it's still 6awg.. I've never checked a cart's throttle signal and I don't know if he has or not. So whenever you do that, are you checking the ITS or micro switch?
The 6Ga cable might get hot as hell and might slow the cart down some, but if he was using that cable with the other motor, it isn't what is hold this one back. However, it needs to be replaced with 2Ga before it starts a fire, or takes out a post on the two batteries it is connected to.

The ITS. If the solenoid clicks when the pedal is pushed, the pedal microswitch is working. The throttle signal (ITS) decreases in voltage as the pedal is pushed further.

To check the ITS, connect a DVM between pins 1 and 2 on top of the DCS controller, or between pins 3 and 4 of J4 (part of the original PDS wiring harness). Polarity doesn't matter, but pin 2 on top of the controller will be negative.

When pedal is pushed just far enough for solenoid to click, the voltage ought be 10V.
When the pedal is pushed to the floor, the voltage should be 6V. (and the green LED on the DCX ought to turn to yellow, more of an orange actually)

Also, check for which type throttle the DCX is set to. The wrong throttle type will make it run slow, or not work at all.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DCX in PDS.JPG (162.5 KB, 0 views)
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO