lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-28-2014, 10:35 AM   #1
Robinsw1
Not Yet Wild

Default RXV conversion to six 8 volt batteries, any concerns

It is time to replace my T1260's, one will not charge and they are 3 years old. Local battery shop offers 12v US batteries and this was my original plan. However, this is also an opportunity to switch to an 8v battery setup. I searched here and found link to new battery tray on ebay. My question - are there any other concerns if I reconfigure to the six 8v power? Will my delta Q charger still work? Any wiring concerns, etc?

TIA
Robinsw1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-28-2014, 11:55 AM   #2
catmcaw
Gone Wild

Default Re: RXV conversion to six 8 volt batteries, any concerns

I have also been thinkng about the 6x8v swap for my 2008 RXV . According to the dates on my battery posts they were made Feb. 08 and from what I've read here its unusual for 12v batteries to last as long as mine have.
EZGO makes a 6x8v battery tray #627889 and it retails for $134. I could not find it on their Web site but found it a couple other places (google)
The only negative thing that I've seen about the swap is it adds 50 pounds to the cart but thats not a big deal for me.
catmcaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 03:24 PM   #3
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

You will need new "top cables" to connect the batteries. Watering the very back row of cells can be tricky. Other than that, it's a good move.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 03:35 PM   #4
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

I'm not a RXV guy, but as I understand it, replacing the battery frame and adding a couple battery cables is all the 4 x 12V to 6 x 8V upgrade takes.

The pack voltage stays at 48V, so your existing 48V charger will work.

BTW: Going from four T-1260 batteries to six T-875 batteries is a 66 pound gain in weight.
Going from four T-1275 to six T-875 is 50 pounds.

---------
I see CG slithered in while I was typing. He's done it so he knows.

Last edited by JohnnieB; 12-28-2014 at 03:37 PM.. Reason: Added comment
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 03:45 PM   #5
sunking
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgtech View Post
You will need new "top cables" to connect the batteries. Watering the very back row of cells can be tricky. Other than that, it's a good move.
Cannot that be solved by using a something like a hydro-link system aka watering systems? Both Trojan and US Battery offer them.

OP something to consider when choosing between Trojan and US Battery. Independent Testing agencies have done considerable testing of both manufactures. The US Battery has slightly better performance then Trojan but less cycle life. Trojan in real world application discharged to 50% DOD has about 750 cycles vs 650 cycles for US Battery.

But don't let that throw you off track when trying to figure out which is the best bang for your buck. A T-875 will cost you roughly $130 each, and a US Battery will cost you roughly $115. What that translates to based on cycle life to watt hour cost:

Trojan = 6.4 cents per Kwh
US Battery = 6.6 cents per Kwh

Trojan is the least expensive, and US Battery performs slightly better.
sunking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 04:04 PM   #6
cgtech

Yamaha

Oh yeah, you can do a "single point water system" but it is expensive, and not required. We always strongly suggest it on new RXV sales with 8v's.
Old 12-28-2014, 04:09 PM   #7
sunking
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgtech View Post
Oh yeah, you can do a "single point water system" but it is expensive, and not required. We always strongly suggest it on new RXV sales with 8v's.
I would too if I were in your shoes.
sunking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 04:34 PM   #8
cgtech

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunking View Post
I would too if I were in your shoes.
And not because theyre the best thing since sliced bread (they often cause problems, just ask "cartboy", especially when the end user refuses to follow the useage directions). I suggest them because otherwise the "tricky" cells just wouldnt get checked, or carelessly overfilled, which becomes my warranty headache.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO