lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-04-2017, 07:04 AM   #1
appstate09
Not Yet Wild

Default Battery performance of fleet cart and other questions

Good morning,

Sorry for all the questions I have, I have searched and searched to try to find answers.

I just got a 2014 Precedent with E.R.I.C. charger, it came from a fleet turned in from a lease. I am currently measuring the pack voltage to determine my next step with batteries. In general shouldn't carts maintained by a golf course have batteries in optimal condition for their age? Charged daily, scheduled waterings, etc.

Nonetheless, I have original batteries, cart was produced in late October 2013, they are PD+ batteries. I saw J39BK molded onto the battery and a combo of J3 and I5 stickers with bar codes. There is a SPWS installed. I took the cart for a round of golf and made it 15 holes before the battery light came on. The manual said this is 20% of battery remaining, I made it home without seeing the light flash. I have also read on here the light comes on when the pack voltage reaches just under 48.1v, this that correct? What is the voltage threshold for the cart to operate? It's my understanding the cart just doesn't move once it hits this voltage.

Here are my pack voltages over the past 24 hours:
After charging cycle completes: 51.5v
After 6 hour rest: 50.8v
After 12 hour rest: 50.7v
After 24 hour rest: 50.5v

After 24 hour rest: 8.54v
8.41v
8.44v
8.35v
8.42v
8.38v
Total: 40.54v

Referencing the SoC chart it appears I have around or more than 90% capacity after surface charge dissipates. That seems pretty good to me, good enough to stretch out my replacement purchase until next year hopefully? How can battery 1 be so high? Chart says 100% is 8.49. Any suggestions on what to do to bring up 8.35v and 8.38v to balance the pack?

Also, one other quick question about the E.R.I.C. Charger. Will a regular charging cycle and taking DC plug out and back in trigger an overcharge cycle? That is what a have read for other chargers but I know this charger is different and thinks for itself.

Thanks everyone!
appstate09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-04-2017, 07:25 AM   #2
appstate09
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: Battery performance of fleet cart and other questions

Upon further inspection there is only one I5 battery it the one with 8.35v. The molded stamp is different too. I would assume this is a newer battery that replaced the original. Isn't it odd the newest has the lowest voltage?
Old 04-04-2017, 07:42 AM   #3
teecro
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by appstate09 View Post
... In general shouldn't carts maintained by a golf course have batteries in optimal condition for their age? Charged daily, scheduled waterings, etc...
Farthest from the truth... Fleet batteries are generally at best good for 3 years... The newest battery gets beat up during the charging cycle and quickly degrades to the point of being equal or less than the aged batteries. Consider this is 90 % really all that good? While it's not all that bad but you have already lost 10 % and you have done absolutely nothing. Can you get another year? You sure can try and you will know when its time, believe me you will know. My 3 year old well maintained Crown batteries are starting to show some signs of age in that they are just not quite as strong as they once were on the hills, I'll wait them out as they are quite costly...
teecro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 07:55 AM   #4
appstate09
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by teecro View Post
Farthest from the truth... Fleet batteries are generally at best good for 3 years... The newest battery gets beat up during the charging cycle and quickly degrades to the point of being equal or less than the aged batteries. Consider this is 90 % really all that good? While it's not all that bad but you have already lost 10 % and you have done absolutely nothing. Can you get another year? You sure can try and you will know when its time, believe me you will know. My 3 year old well maintained Crown batteries are starting to show some signs of age in that they are just not quite as strong as they once were on the hills, I'll wait them out as they are quite costly...

No doubt. I had a 90's DS with weak batteries. You definitely know when it is time. I've got to save up a battery fund. Putting priority to lights, reducer, rear seat and all that goes with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-04-2017, 05:11 PM   #5
shaffer88
Gone Wild

Go to a big course and you will play your round drop it off and then they hand the keys to the next group. They prolly discharge them too much to often. Does this cart have headlight? Some connect headlights to directly to batteries without the inverter. Which can cause degrading of the batteries
shaffer88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 05:24 PM   #6
appstate09
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaffer88 View Post
Go to a big course and you will play your round drop it off and then they hand the keys to the next group. They prolly discharge them too much to often. Does this cart have headlight? Some connect headlights to directly to batteries without the inverter. Which can cause degrading of the batteries

No lights. 18 holes at the NC coast. A lot of parallel holes, so it doesn't take up much real estate. My cart was numbered 77 so they had what I consider a lot of carts. My home course has around 40 and are seldomly recycled. Of course the last course at the beach sees a lot more play than my track.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car