lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-19-2017, 08:48 AM   #21
kjackmail
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Precharge resistor burning up

Wait a minute... So I read thru my last post several times and I am confused. The volt converter has 48v on it constant from the battery pack and the key switch powers the trigger wire on the volt converter to turn it on and off. So turning the key puts the same 48v on the volt converter that is already on it from the battery pack. How is that wrong? SO what is burning up the controller? The only other thing that is different is I replaced the OBC after I burned up controller #2. I had an extra one in my parts bin so I swapped it out. I am lost again. The one thing I am sure of is when everything was hooked up and working after installing controller #2 it burned the controller as soon as I turned the key while it was charging. Could it have been the OBC? At this point I am thinking about replacing all the lights and the voltage converter or pulling everything off my personal cart and installing it on this cart. It is wired exactly the same with the same parts from the same vendors. So frustrating! UGH!
kjackmail is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-19-2017, 09:13 AM   #22
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

I agree, the key switch ON/OFF should not have had any effect as the voltage is the same.

It was probably just a misstatement, but just in case, the negative wire from the Converter plugs to the yellow bullet connector that goes to Controller B-, not the OBC.

The black wire from the charger port to the OBC would have a much higher voltage reference than pack negative while charging.

Did You check the charger itself to make sure it is working properly (voltage output)?

The OBC lockout interface to the Controller could not cause damage since it is just a high-impedance input (low current) at the controller.
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 01:11 PM   #23
kjackmail
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergio View Post
I agree, the key switch ON/OFF should not have had any effect as the voltage is the same.

It was probably just a misstatement, but just in case, the negative wire from the Converter plugs to the yellow bullet connector that goes to Controller B-, not the OBC.

The black wire from the charger port to the OBC would have a much higher voltage reference than pack negative while charging.

Did You check the charger itself to make sure it is working properly (voltage output)?

The OBC lockout interface to the Controller could not cause damage since it is just a high-impedance input (low current) at the controller.
I will check out the ground wire tonight. The charger also could be the issue. After I burned up the 2nd controller I packed everything up and called it quits for a while. Once I got the 3rd controller installed I have been sharing the charger from my personal cart. I'm gonna be mad if I have went thru all this over a charger. Thanks again Sergio!! I will update tonight.
Old 07-22-2017, 09:55 PM   #24
kjackmail
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Ok so I just went for it. I checked and rechecked everything today and swapped out my 48v converter. everything hooked up as normal and everything works. I am guessing it had something to do with the 30amp converter running about 10watts of led. I am just happy its done. Thanks all!

Tags
charger, controller, key switch, obc, solenoid
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car