lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-21-2017, 01:03 PM   #1
Rudyplus6
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default Winter Storage New Batteries

Hi Everyone,

Just wondering what everyone does who lives in the north over winter with your batteries.

As long as can remember growing up my Dad always brought the boat batteries in the basement and storing them on a skid or shelf. Periodically he would hook a charger up to them.

I purchased new batteries this spring, had a few issues with them boiling over when charging, that issue has resolved it self.

Do you fully charge them and disconnect from the cart and leave them?
Do you take them out and store inside?

A local dealer suggests keeping the charger hooked up to it full time all winter long. Not sure I like this..

I was thinking of storing them in basement and also purchasing a 48v battery maintainer to keep them in good shape over the winter months.

I have a 1995 club car 48v system with 6 8v US Batteries.

TIA.

Rudy
Rudyplus6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-21-2017, 05:22 PM   #2
Doc
Gone Wild

Default Re: Winter Storage New Batteries

Mine are kept outside (in the cart) and I keep my 48V maintainer on them...only draws power when it's needed. I've never had a cold weather related problem so I must be doing something right!
Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 05:14 AM   #3
lockman1
What the ....?

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudyplus6 View Post
A local dealer suggests keeping the charger hooked up to it full time all winter long. Not sure I like this..
Carew? or Jim's?

I posed that same question to Jim about 10 years ago when I had my 98 48V DS,
BUT... I explained that my campground's electrical (in Marion) was "iffy" to say the least, and I didn't trust it,
PLUS... it was going to be left outside, unattended for 5 to 6 months.

He suggested that a week before closing up... after a full charge, check all of the cells, and fill them with water if needed, run the cart, and charge it again,
when closing up the next weekend, give the cart a full charge, and unplug the charger from the cart and the outlet,
wait a 1/2 an hour, to an hour, (without use) and plug the charger back in until it completes the charge again, (usually about 15 minutes)
unplug the charger, and stow it, then switch it to tow, (if you have a run/tow switch)
and disconnect just the 2 main positive, and negative cables, (and reducer, or misc. feeds) cover the cart up, and wish for a mild winter.
In spring, check the water levels to make sure they're not too low, hook the cables back up, and charge it, then check the water levels again.

With proper maintenance, fully charged batteries won't freeze within the 1 or 2 months of our sub-zero weather.

It worked perfect for 4 years, then we sold it, and those batteries were still working well!

lockman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 05:11 PM   #4
joesam
Gone Wild
Club Car

My first set of batteries were stored outside in my cart, with a heavy vinyl cover on the cart, and parked beneath a large deck (essentially covered/unheated parking). The cart was plugged in all winter long. I live in Calgary CANADA. Temperatures can sometimes reach 30 below or colder - and average about 20-25 degrees F. A/C power is/was always reliable for the whole winter.

In spring, I would unplug-and plug them in for an equalize charge a couple times, then go! They lasted 12 YEARS before they were too weak to finish a round of golf at "full" speed so they have since been replaced.

Keep in mind my cart is used for 3-4 rounds of golf/wk BUT only 6 mos. of the year - so 12 years up here is like dog years - and probably equates to 6 years of warm weather year-round use).

Since buying my new batteries, I also purchased a Battery Minder - so for the past couple years, I've been leaving that plugged-in during winter storage rather than the OEM charger. But the OEM charger did a terrific job of keeping the old ones healthy. I believe I read somewhere that cold temperatures are actually much better for storing FULLY CHARGED batteries, than warm weather. That seems true in my personal experience.
joesam is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car