lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-07-2012, 04:10 PM   #11
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: EZGO PDS Performance Options

Kingb2, Essentially you can interrupt the the wire on the freedom chip (red wire) and toggle back to all terrain mode by interrupting the chip wire & cycling the Run/tow switch
scottyb is online now   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-07-2012, 08:42 PM   #12
Spawn
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingb2 View Post
mine is a pds. it has plenty of speed i am looking for more torque. i was wondering about cutting the longer wire on the speed chip. if that would help with torque
The only way to get more torque is to get a Alltrax controller. The chip wont do it.
Spawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 06:20 AM   #13
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingb2 View Post
mine is a pds. it has plenty of speed i am looking for more torque. i was wondering about cutting the longer wire on the speed chip. if that would help with torque
The differences between the four PDS modes are top speed and amount of regen braking. (Chart attached)
Torque is about the same in all modes since it is limited by the maximum amps the controller will pass. (275A early PDS carts - 300A later PDS carts)

Like Spawn said, the only way to get more torque is installing a higher ampacity controller.
However, he is referring to "stock" torque, and you might not be getting stock torque from your cart.

Bad batteries, high current cables, solenoid and/or high current connections might be limiting the amps your motor can draw, so check them out and make sure they are good.

Any cable, component or connection that gets hot is limiting the amps going to the motor and should be replaced or repaired.
Batteries need to be load tested. (Voltage readings before and after hard use will usually suffice)

FWIW: My stock 4ga cables looked pretty good, but I gained some torque when I replaced them. I went with 2Ga, but sticking with 4ga probably would have gotten similar results.
(Better acceleration from a stand still and less speed loss on hills. Not a lot, but noticeable.)

My batteries are lacking also, but I chose to squeeze a few more months out of them and will be replacing them this spring instead of last summer/fall.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PDS Mode speed-regen level.JPG (18.5 KB, 21 views)
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 09:13 AM   #14
Rickochet
Card Carrying Old Fart

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnieB View Post
I only use Mild hill and Freedom modes, so I just added a SPST switch to the jumper between Pins 2&3.

Here's a chart with the various plugs.
I am thinking of doing the same for steep hill/freedom. When cycling the Run/Tow switch to change modes does the key switch need to be in the "on" or "off" settings or does it matter?

Rick
Rickochet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 09:23 AM   #15
Spawn
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Leave it off.
Spawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 09:44 AM   #16
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickochet View Post
I am thinking of doing the same for steep hill/freedom. When cycling the Run/Tow switch to change modes does the key switch need to be in the "on" or "off" settings or does it matter?

Rick
It doesn't matter the Run/Tow switch controls the feed for the key switch ..... I think you should be stopped when you do cycle the R/T switch.
Old 02-09-2012, 01:13 PM   #17
Rickochet
Card Carrying Old Fart

E-Z-GO

When pulling and reinstalling a J-2 connector I am sure the run/tow switch should be in the tow position, but should a battery cable be disconnected also? The only thing I found in the manual was waiting at least 30 seconds after doing most everything electrical before putting the run/tow switch back to run.
Rickochet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 04:35 PM   #18
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickochet View Post
When pulling and reinstalling a J-2 connector I am sure the run/tow switch should be in the tow position, but should a battery cable be disconnected also? The only thing I found in the manual was waiting at least 30 seconds after doing most everything electrical before putting the run/tow switch back to run.

No, just put it in "Tow", change the PDS mode, wait a few more seconds and put it back into "Run".

Putting it into "Tow" shuts down the low voltage power supply feeding the logic circuits within the controller and interrupts the 36V feeding the various external switches.

I clipped the short jumper, added a few inches of wire and a SPST toggle switch to change between Mild Hill and Freedom modes.
I'll probably remote that switch and the Run/Tow switch to the dash, so I don't have get off the cart and lift the seat, but I'll still have to stop to change modes.

I haven't tried it, but I'm pretty sure the controller will go into the Walk-Away Safety mode if it "wakes up" with the motor turning and apply 100% regenerative braking until cart slows to 2MPH or less.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 05:01 PM   #19
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Or you can locate the switch(s) below the seat cushion by your knee, so you don't have to get off the cart....
Old 11-05-2014, 01:35 PM   #20
sweetwilly125
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

so all you have to do is plug it in????
sweetwilly125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO