lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-15-2013, 09:42 PM   #1
bash11
Not Yet Wild

Default How rugged is the PDS controller?

I am thinking about buying a 2008 TXT and converting it for on road use in Michigan. I have heard that you can burn up a controller by carrying 4 adults especially up hills. Is this true? I am planning to use stock wheels, and speed is not really important.

Can the wire loops in the personality plugs be replaced with two SPST switches so the performance programming can be done without replacing the plugs each time? If so, can the program be switched with the key on, or should the key be off when changing performance settings.

Are there any threads in this forum specific to making carts road legal?

Thanks in advance,

bash11
bash11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-15-2013, 09:58 PM   #2
Great white north
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: How rugged is the PDS controller?

to BGW the best golf cart forum on the web
Must adhere to the rules introductions only for first post
But to your answer , yes , yes , and yes the search bar on top of page is your friend
Cheers
Great white north is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 10:36 PM   #3
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Great white north View Post
to BGW the best golf cart forum on the web
Must adhere to the rules introductions only for first post
But to your answer , yes , yes , and yes the search bar on top of page is your friend
Cheers
ahhhhh he isn't in the INTRO Section.....so he can ask what ever he wants.....that only applies to the Intro Section.

oh btw Bash, Welcome to our happy little corner of the net, and to BGW. There is a BIG fridge on the back porch with anything you can think of in it...help yourself...of course only take what you can LEGALLY have. Make yourself at home on one of the big fluffy couches, kick your shoes off, put your feet up on one of the tables, yes we are allowed to do that, mom's, wive's, husbands, girlfirends and boyfriends here don't care....and take it easy.

oh...btw....every once in a while a food fight breaks out...so you may not want to wear nice clothes here.

Welcome!!
Sir Nuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 10:49 PM   #4
jakesnake27
Gone Wild

Watch out for this guy, he's pretty good with his sword^^^^^^^
Just don't take too many drinks!
jakesnake27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 06:46 AM   #5
Great white north
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

My bad I assumed you had to introduce yourself for first post
Makes sense
Great white north is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 08:37 AM   #6
bash11
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for your answers so far. I would like to get a little more detail if possible. What kind of load is the cart specified to handle? What is the weight limit at various grades of hills? Where can I find such information? How does the performance change when the red, blue, and yellow plugs are used?

bash11

Last edited by bash11; 10-16-2013 at 08:38 AM.. Reason: added my name
Old 10-16-2013, 08:38 AM   #7
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by bash11 View Post
I am thinking about buying a 2008 TXT and converting it for on road use in Michigan. I have heard that you can burn up a controller by carrying 4 adults especially up hills. Is this true? I am planning to use stock wheels, and speed is not really important.

Can the wire loops in the personality plugs be replaced with two SPST switches so the performance programming can be done without replacing the plugs each time? If so, can the program be switched with the key on, or should the key be off when changing performance settings.

Are there any threads in this forum specific to making carts road legal?

Thanks in advance,

bash11
On-road is where PDS carts work best and a stock PDS controller is fairly rugged.
However, golf carts are designed to carry two golfers and their clubs over groomed cart trails for about 18 short trips of about 300 yards each before the batteries need recharging and if you want to do much more than that, the cart ought to be upgraded.

With stock height (18") tires, you should be able to move four people around a neighborhood with modest hills using a stock PDS controller without overheating the controller, but the high current cables (all 10 of them) ought to be replaced since stock cables are only designed to last for the carts warranty period. (If any cable or connection gets more than barely warm, it needs to be fixed or replaced.)

Yes, switches can be added to the jumper wires on the personality plugs.
When I ran a stock controller, I only had one in one wire and switched between the Freedom and Mild Hill modes.
You will have to flip the Run/Tow switch to Tow and back to get the controller to accept mode changes.

BTW: When working on cart, the Run/Tow switch must be in Tow whenever any wire is connected or disconnected, or the controller might be destroyed.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 08:52 AM   #8
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by bash11 View Post
Thanks for your answers so far. I would like to get a little more detail if possible. What kind of load is the cart specified to handle? What is the weight limit at various grades of hills? Where can I find such information? How does the performance change when the red, blue, and yellow plugs are used?

bash11
You can download the Owner, Service and Parts manuals here: http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/elect...g-manuals.html

Total for Driver, passenger and cargo combined is 800 pounds.
Max incline is 25% grade (14°)

Attached is list of Speed and regen braking levels for the four PDS modes.
Other than speed and regen level, there is no performance differences (IE: Torque is the same)

-------------
The batteries are the heart of the system, so take care of them.
Recharge after each use!!!!!
Dont discharge the below 50% SoC (State of Charge)
Voltages on attached chart are At-Rest voltages (IE: 12 hours after being charged or half an hour after being discharged)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PDS Mode speed-regen level.JPG (18.5 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg JohnnieB's SoC Chart.JPG (66.2 KB, 0 views)
Old 10-16-2013, 09:38 AM   #9
bash11
Not Yet Wild

JohnnieB you rock! That is exactly the information that I am looking for!

What is the typical current draw for a lightly loaded cart on level ground, and what is the max sustainable level?

Is there any overcurrent protection designed into the controller? I would think that a well designed controller would just shutdown if it was passing too much current or if it got overheated rather than destroying itself.
Old 10-16-2013, 12:28 PM   #10
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

From, your questions, may I assume you have some understanding of electrical gadgets?

A stock PDS cart with driver only draws about 50A while cruising on level ground. The amp draw increases if more weight is added, or the cart starts climbing an incline.

As for Max sustainable current for a PDS controller, I suspect it is about 125A.
The peak current rating is 300A, but I don't have the actual 2-minute or 1-hour rating on it.
However, an aftermarket 300A replacement for it has a 2-minute rating of 250A and a 1-hour rating of 125A, so it would probably be similar.

Based on its RPM and some other factors, the motor will draw all the amps the battery will produce and the controller acts as a current limiter, so by definition, there is no over current protection other than failure. Of course, a max current draw conditions only exist when the motor is stalled or spinning at low RPM and when accelerating from a stand-still, so they only exist for a few seconds.

The output of the controller is PWM (Pulse Width Modulated DC). This is accomplished by a dozen or so MOSFETs (Metal Oxide Field Effect Transistor) connected in parallel. The greater the number and type of MOSFET, the greater the max current it will pass.

The MOSFETS are switched on/off at about 18kHz and the duty cycle determines how many Amps are passed to the motor. When conducting, there is a small voltage drop across the MOSFET, so the controller knows how many Amps are flowing and adjusts the PWM duty cycle when the max amp rating is approached.

On the other hand, a PDS controller does have Over-Temperature, Over-Voltage and Under-Voltage shutdowns.

Also, the PDS controller limits motor RPM. The speed sensor attached to the motor sends 8 pulses per shaft revolution to the controller and when the motor reaches the max RPM for the PDS mode selected, the controller reduces the PWM duty cycle as required not to exceed that RPM. An aftermarket controller that does not limit motor RPM will propel the cart in the low to mid 20's.

Tags
controller, pds
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO