lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-30-2014, 07:05 PM   #1
Newbie22
Not Yet Wild

Default Ez go keeps going

New problem with my old resistor cart. Put in a new resistor wiper board and wiper, seemed to run good, now when I flip it from fwd to reverse or vise versa the solinoid chatters for a bit. Then when I drive I don't even need to press the gas it just keeps going...... Same in reverse, not always but most times. Is the solinoid my problem?
Newbie22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-30-2014, 07:18 PM   #2
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Default Re: Ez go keeps going

EZ-GONE! Sounds like the main contactor is staying closed for some reason. That is what it would do if the contactor stayed closed.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 07:26 PM   #3
Newbie22
Not Yet Wild

Don't know a whole a lot about these carts yet, still learning, where would I find this main contactor, is it a big job to change?
Old 05-30-2014, 07:40 PM   #4
cgtech

Yamaha

It is the only solenoid, sorry im used to calling it by yamahas name (main contactor). Plus i have run into people who are super adamant about only calling it a solenoid, or only calling it a relay, i fixed them, i call it main contactor. Maybe just my ocd. If you turn key off, does it stop?
Old 05-30-2014, 07:46 PM   #5
Newbie22
Not Yet Wild

Yeah when I turn the key off it stops, if I leave it in either fwd or reverse and then turn the key on the solinoid (round silver thing with 4 terminals) starts clicking.
Old 05-30-2014, 07:58 PM   #6
radioman
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

The solenoid/relay/contactor/electro mechanical switch or what ever is probably not the problem. A contactor generally refers to a AC relay with mechanical rectification used in high voltage high current switches for motors and lighting.

I would guess the device is chattering because the voltage across it is fluctuating.

It is normally fastened to the controller with a bracket under a cover you may have to remove to access.
radioman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 08:04 PM   #7
cgtech

Yamaha

It seems he knows where its at, just not why it is messing up. "contactor" is what yamaha calls it, i chose that terminology to "throw off" the "only solenoid/relay" crowd. I would put a volt meter on the 2 small leads of the "solenoid" and check its voltages.
Old 05-30-2014, 08:25 PM   #8
Newbie22
Not Yet Wild

So you think what I call the solinoid (round silver thing with 4 terminals) may be the problem or something else may be causing it to chatter? When the cart goes without touching the pedal it makes me thing the contacts in the solinoid may be stuck shut
Old 05-30-2014, 08:56 PM   #9
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

FWIW,
What everyone in the buggy world calls a "solenoid" is really a contactor. It matters not whether it's AC or DC, IT IS A CONTACTOR.

A solenoid is simply a coil with an iron slug that can control electricity, air, water, etc.

Now that we have that behind us, let's call it a solenoid, since that's what the buggy industry calls it.

Carry on.

EDIT: Didn't mean to seem harsh, I just hate when terms are misused - Even by me.
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 09:00 PM   #10
radioman
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Something else causing it to chatter. Get your voltmeter and measure across the small round silver thing terminals. If you got voltage across them the thing is being energized. Exactly what cgtec suggested.
radioman is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO