lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-17-2014, 10:09 AM   #11
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

E-Z-GO

Default Re: New Golf cart, Gas vs Electric. E-Z-Go vs Star vs Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by BorisM View Post
So the consensus is to get E-Z-Go.

Why do you recommend getting a 36v cart and upgrading it to 48v? What would I accomplish by upgrading controller to 400 amps from factory 250 amps? And my final stupid question of the day: why do I get two extra batteries?
1. upgrading to 48v will get you 30% more Torque and Speed.
2. It will allow more current to flow to the motor (the controller is a bottle neck).
3. depending how you want to achieve the 48v. you can either stay with the stock configuration of 6 batteries but up the voltage to 8v (6 batteries x 8v each = 4, OR get 2 additional 6v batteries to up the voltage to 48v (8 batteries x 6v each = 4. its all about run time. the more AH's the longer the run time. Its just a choice....it really depends on your needs.
Sir Nuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-17-2014, 10:33 AM   #12
BorisM
Getting Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Nuke View Post
1. upgrading to 48v will get you 30% more Torque and Speed.
2. It will allow more current to flow to the motor (the controller is a bottle neck).
3. depending how you want to achieve the 48v. you can either stay with the stock configuration of 6 batteries but up the voltage to 8v (6 batteries x 8v each = 4, OR get 2 additional 6v batteries to up the voltage to 48v (8 batteries x 6v each = 4. its all about run time. the more AH's the longer the run time. Its just a choice....it really depends on your needs.
Would of this be more cost effective than getting a 48v golf cart to begin with?

I am assuming the motor is dual 36/48v, is it? Or does one need to replace the motor after additional batteries are installed and a controller is upgraded ?
BorisM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 10:45 AM   #13
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by BorisM View Post
Would of this be more cost effective than getting a 48v golf cart to begin with?

I am assuming the motor is dual 36/48v, is it? Or does one need to replace the motor after additional batteries are installed and a controller is upgraded ?

1. it really all depends on you.....a lot of us like to TINKER with our carts, for me.....I would rather get a cart that has a solid frame, suspension, rear end, and decent body.....and build my own. That way I KNOW what I got and its capabilities. One thing to remember.... golf carts were designed to carry 2 passengers and their clubs on manicured fairways. NOT off-road/lifted/high-speed.....etc.

and the stock 36v motors work just fine for most applications. once you get up to the 500 amp controllers upgraded motors are highly recommended.
Sir Nuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 11:22 AM   #14
joshualmarley
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Just to add a thought. I don't think there is a consensus on brands. We all have different carts, but we all like different things and purchased them based on what was available. Trust me all of the big 3 have advantages and disadvantages.

Let me ask you a few pointed questions.
1. Are you looking at new, used, or both?
2. Are you looking for speed, torque, range and or what is most important?
3. Do you prefer the looks/styling of one brand?
4. Are you going to add a lift kit/tires/wheels etc?
5. Do you need lights and if so do you need brake and signals as well.

We can guide you a bit based on some of the answers.
joshualmarley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 12:08 PM   #15
kernal
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshualmarley View Post
Just to add a thought. I don't think there is a consensus on brands. We all have different carts, but we all like different things and purchased them based on what was available. Trust me all of the big 3 have advantages and disadvantages.

All good questions.

On the 36v vs 48v question. The vast majority of new carts, no matter the manufacturer, are 48v. There is a reason for this. Unless budget considerations force you to look at older 36v carts I would get a new or newer 48v cart.

New of newer carts have some safety features you might like based on the fact that wife and kids will be the primary users. Newer carts will have programable top speed and will use electronics to control speed even going down hill. Also " roll away "protection. If you should forget to set the parking brake and the cart starts to roll it will greatly restrict speed ~2mph and beep as a warning.

Club Car, EZGO and Yamaha are all good choices. Do you have a local dealer for any of these and do you like him? The carts have different driving positions and nothing is adjustable. Your wife should definitely sit in and drive the cart before purchasing. I find Club Car Precedents can be uncomfortable for shorter people sometimes, as an example.

It sounds like you are looking for a turn key ready to go cart for safe neighborhood cruising. Any stock golf cart will do it even with a back seat. Range will be 20 miles easily before starting to tax the batteries for range.

I would be hesitant to consider any cart other than Club Car, EZGO or Yamaha. They have been around for years and will be years from now. Parts, manuals, repair experience is plentiful. Think Ford or Chevy. Aftermarket parts and customization is robust.

On the EZGO RXV. This is a standard golf cart except it has a 3phase AC motor.
First produced in 2008. It is more efficient than a DC cart and more powerful. The big difference in driving it is its ability to hold speed when going up hills. If this is not important to you then consider any DC cart as an equal otherwise.

The biggest problem for you seems to me the long term storage. You will need a charger/maintainer or a separate maintainer. What are the climate conditions during storage?
Some late model Club Car Precedents will monitor the state of charge and initiate a charge cycle when appropriate or so I've been told. Haven't seen it in action myself.
Dealers in my area will come to your house and service the cart monthly for a minimal fee. This includes keeping the high current cables and connections corrosion free and the batteries properly watered. They might initiate a charge cycle unless liability is an issue. Ask the dealer if they offer anything like this.
kernal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 12:11 PM   #16
BorisM
Getting Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshualmarley View Post

1) Do not really care. I would prefer not to spend $7,000 on new, but do not want to get a call at 2 in the afternoon from my wife telling me that the golf cart is broken at the pool, she has no easy way of getting home and I am 200 miles away. It must be very reliable.
2) The most important thing is for my wife to be able to drive two kids with beach chairs and all the kid crap to the pool and or beach and back.
3) No.
4) Was not planning to, but will if I need to. I am handy in general and believe can do most electrical repairs myself. Having said that I do not believe I am capable or willing to repair a gas golf cart.
5) I must have head lights and break lights as per community regulations. Signal is optional.
Old 06-17-2014, 12:18 PM   #17
BorisM
Getting Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by kernal View Post
The biggest problem for you seems to me the long term storage. You will need a charger/maintainer or a separate maintainer. What are the climate conditions during storage?
Some late model Club Car Precedents will monitor the state of charge and initiate a charge cycle when appropriate or so I've been told. Haven't seen it in action myself.
Dealers in my area will come to your house and service the cart monthly for a minimal fee. This includes keeping the high current cables and connections corrosion free and the batteries properly watered. They might initiate a charge cycle unless liability is an issue. Ask the dealer if they offer anything like this.
My storage is a garage without insulation or heat. I do have an outlet in the garage and can purchase DPI charger, but exterior temperatures are sometimes brutal in the winter, I am in Pocono Mountains region.
I can water the batteries, and keep cables corrosion free myself, I think I am able to replace any electrical part if needed.
Old 06-17-2014, 11:21 PM   #18
joshualmarley
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Here is my suggestions...

Buy a newer electric cart, say 2010 or up. Replace the batteries and buy Trojan brand. Get a dpi charger from Scottyb and depending on the sand at what you call the beach you may need slightly more aggressive tread so wheels and tires are probably necessary. You will also need a rear seat so consider the cost. Just for comparison here is what I have and some costs

2012 Yamaha drive 2500 bucks
PTV light kit 509 bucks
Rear view mirror 30 bucks
Wheels and tires mine were 359 but you will probably spend 500
Rear seat 400

All for under 4000 with a cart that is under warranty. A similar deal can be had on an ezgo or club car. I do think an rxv would fit your needs nicely as well. Feel free to pm me if you want my number.

Josh
joshualmarley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 08:47 AM   #19
BorisM
Getting Wild

Thank you all for your suggestions and help.

I was doing some pricing research and saw the following disclaimer on most golf cart resellers’ web sites:
"Price, if shown, is Manufacturer's Suggested Retail Price (MSRP) and does not include government fees, taxes, dealer freight/preparation, dealer document preparation charges or any finance charges (if applicable)....."

Is this like buying a car and dealers add fees just for the heck of it and the buyer negotiates it down as he can? Is it a standard golf cart dealer practice?
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO