lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-19-2014, 12:45 PM   #1
fstatum
Not Yet Wild

Default Need more torque! Motor or controller?

Looking to get more torque from my stock 1994 EZGO. Factory 2hp motor gets about 12 MPH but drops to 7/8mph on a long incline in the neighborhood. Just used to ride the grandson around the neighborhood. Which is the best way to go motor or controller change? Does have a 4" lift and 20" tires. Thanks in advance!
fstatum is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-19-2014, 01:04 PM   #2
chriskent85
Gone Wild

Default Re: Need more torque! Motor or controller?

contoller
chriskent85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 01:11 PM   #3
BigWes
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

When I needed more torque, I went for an upgrade in controller, solenoid, cables, F&R switch. I needed a lot more torque than you probably will, so what I did may be overkill for your situation, but I didn't even touch the motor... yet

An upgraded controller will allow your motor to draw more amps which creates the torque. I'm really not sure that upgrading your motor without also upgrading your controller and the rest would give you any improvement. Maybe someone else with more knowledge than I have can attest to that for you.
BigWes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 01:22 PM   #4
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

More specifically - the controller upgrade will allow the motor access to more amperage which the motor uses to produce more torque which will help you maintain speed going up hill.
However - allowing the motor to draw more amperage means the whole amp delivery system will see more amperage flowing through it. So the whole delivery system has to be improved to allow this increased flow.
The delivery system consists of:
The controller
Main solenoid
F&R switch
All big cables.

To answer the second part of the question "will a new motor alone solve the problem"?
The cart needs more torque for hills. Aftermarket high torque motors are available for your cart but, They do require all of the upgrades listed above to operate.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 02:02 PM   #5
DaveTM
Gone Wild

ScottyB's right. If your gonna do it.....do it top down and do it right. If you try to do it piece meal and go with sumpin that's going to draw a lotta power.....get ready to fry some stuff that you didn't expect to fry.
DaveTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 05:45 PM   #6
cableguy_hd
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I mainly stay on asphalt. when I put my lift on I had no idea what I was getting into. My battery pack was shot for the most part as well. It would all but die going up a hill. I upgraded cables, f/r, controller and solenoid. In that order as money would let me. Still on old motor. all these will help for sure but when you need new batteries go 48v. You'll have a smile on your face for sure.

I have a 400 amp non prog. controller as well. again funds dictated that but it works for me. all items were purchased from scotty b but the cables. had some help on those
cableguy_hd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 08:11 PM   #7
fstatum
Not Yet Wild

Wow! Glad I asked. Could have made a costly mistake! Thanks for the info guys. Also scottyb the issue you were helping me with earlier ended up being a stuck solenoid! Thanks again.
Old 08-19-2014, 08:15 PM   #8
fstatum
Not Yet Wild

Cableguy did you upgrade from a 36v to a 48v? I didn't know the motor would handle that or did I misunderstand?
Old 08-19-2014, 11:13 PM   #9
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

36v motors will usually work fine on 48v. As long as you dont expect to turn it into a "rock crawler buggy". If you are using it on the streets and dirt roads, it'll be fine. If you plan on using it in deep sand or nasty mud, the stock motor will be unhappy. Since you have bigger tires, cable upgrades and better F&R would be a first priority investment.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 05:35 AM   #10
cableguy_hd
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by fstatum View Post
Cableguy did you upgrade from a 36v to a 48v? I didn't know the motor would handle that or did I misunderstand?
yes I went from 36 to 48 on the stock motor
cableguy_hd is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO