lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-19-2015, 02:41 PM   #51
Bronco Barney
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Default Re: Oil Additives (DO NOT USE)!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tew45 View Post
I had a G9 that someone had left off the rod splasher device. That was one screwed up engine they were always having to adjust the valves because there wasn't oil being splashed to the top end and wear was continuous. So do not use thickening agents to your oil! I have always believed that if they did that much good the oil refiner would use a similar compound in their oil!

To let everybody know many of these oil additives are made from whats called "base polymears" or extreme pressure additives. They ARE in all motor oils to adjust viscosity and wear characteristics .... BUT in engineered
ratios for the weight and use of the oil.... Direct from a Mobil Oil engineer I got involved with on a project back in the 80's.

The problem becomes when the "more is better" crowd get hold of them and do not use them correct. Splash systems should not need more than what is in the correct weight oil that the MFG. calls out for.

You may have other problems in the motor like bearing rattle, lifter noise etc. Many old car dogs that sell used cars used to like "motor honeys" because they quiet down a motor on startup.

By using in a splash system you are changing the viscosity higher and you will not get proper lubrication in a filtered or non-filtered system.

I also have seen small block Fords twist the oil pump drive shaft because the oil was to thick for the cold temp on startup.
Bronco Barney is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-27-2016, 09:09 PM   #52
gittit
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by tew45 View Post
Use only a 2 cycle oil only. Additives may not burn well and cause serious carbon buildup in 2 cycle engines. Oils with a TCW3 rating or better. Most if not 2 cycle oils are rated TCW3. I use gallons of the stuff mainly Wal-Mart's Super Tech. I have been using it now for over 6 years in my cart, chain saws, weed eaters and outboards and never had any oil related failures. If you have a super high performance engine look for a better oil but harley's and Yamaha's aren't
A point to ponder is that TC-W3 oils are not made for 2 cycle air cooled engines. That is why so many cart guys have such a problem with plugged exhaust. I ran into this issue while getting into air cooled vintage snowmobiles last winter. After extensive research I found out that wally world TC-W3 oil is a no-no for anything that's not liquid cooled. I ended up finding MYSTIC OIL's website and found their SEA and SNOW oil that's rated TC . That means its used for air cooled 'T'wo 'C'ycle engines! (In TC-W3 the "W" stands for WATER cooled.) Anyway, it doesn't make rings stick, it doesn't clog exhaust or spark plugs, and it doesn't carbon up in the cylinder creating "hotspots" to burn pistons or exhaust ports! Also "universal" 2 cycle oil is more for lower rpm 2 strokes-say weedeater. Lucas has alcohol in it. So, in conclusion I ordered MYSTIC online, had it in 2 days at $30 w/shipping and no one calls me Old Smokey on the trail any more. Works perfect for my Stihl chainsaw too!!
gittit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 09:27 PM   #53
gittit
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Mongo View Post
I read your posts about additives and the splash system. I am new to the carts and wanted to know if anyone has tried Marvel Mystery Oil as an additive? It is a light weight oil that you can add to the fuel and the oil systems to help keep the top end and lower end lubed.
I've used MMO in all my outboards to keep the fuel pump clean and to protect the cylinder walls. I also use it in my oil AND the fuel tank in all of our vehicles. We have a 1997 Chevy Lumina with 286,000 miles and still runs as good as new (used no fancy oils either!) It goes in my snowmobiles, lawn mowers, saws, boats, leaf blowers-EVERYTHING! I don't recommend using in a wet clutch set up(ATV motorcycle), just in the gas though. Go to the website for info and to see the MSDS sheet. That will help answer a lot of questions. I swear by the results and will never go without it. Also, it doesn't have alcohol in it like Lucas does which isn't good to add to fuel that already has alcohol in it.
gittit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 09:28 AM   #54
tew45
Gone Wild

Harley Davidson

I disagree. Most oil related failures are caused by misuse. Too much oil, not enough oil, etc.
If carts used a high performance 2 cycle engine with ultra high rpm and top shelf load a special $30.00 a gallon oil might be called for but the HD engine is happy with good quality oil and TC-W3 certainly meets this requirement. The two cycle oil debate will go on as long as there are 2 cycle engines. There are many articles on the net on this subject and I don't think there are any that say that TC-W3 oil is not good for air cooled engines. I am working on 7 to 8 years on my HD engines with no oil related failures. That is good for any engine that is used daily in my vineyard and around my farm. However opinions are like _____ everyone has one! I think you should use the oil of your choice. The are all good. No offense intended, just my opinion after working on 2 cycle engines of all types since 1960.
tew45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 08:08 AM   #55
Doodah
Not Yet Wild

I installed a new Yamaha 357cc motor (4 cycle) in my G27A Utility. Runs great after it burned all residual oil out of exhaust. Old motor was a smoker!
In response to another thread, someone suggested adding zinc to the oil.
???
Doodah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 08:18 AM   #56
tew45
Gone Wild

Harley Davidson

Oil Additives are not good! Usually if a 2 cycle engine smokes it is burning too much oil. On motorcycles the auto oiler probably needs adjusting and not oil additives.
tew45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 08:01 AM   #57
spriddle
Admin

Yamaha

Do not put any additive that is thick in any engine that uses a splash system to lubricate (typically any engine that does NOT have an oil filter/no oil filter usually equals no oil pump). And I would NOT use any oil over 10w30. Example: take whatever you are thinking of putting in your engine, pour it into a cup about half way, take a popsicle stick and see if you can easily splash or fling any of it outside the cup. If not, don't use it. This is a great test because you get a free popsicle before doing anything.

spriddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 02:54 PM   #58
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Free Popsicles! Its hotter than .........
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 11:00 PM   #59
Cvans
Gone Wild

Yamaha

I don't add MMO to the oil but I've seen with my own eyes what it can do for removing carbon in a diesel. I don't believe in miracles in a can but this stuff is pretty impressive when used as a fuel additive. Also use it in my air tools and as a penetrating oil.
Cvans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 05:44 AM   #60
Shepard
Crazy Ole Man

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doodah View Post
I installed a new Yamaha 357cc motor (4 cycle) in my G27A Utility. Runs great after it burned all residual oil out of exhaust. Old motor was a smoker!
In response to another thread, someone suggested adding zinc to the oil.
???
Zinc Phosphate is the additive in oil that's the best anti wear compound. It was added in large amounts in the old days before unleaded gas and catalytic converters. It has limited use nowadays because it will load up the catalytic converter.
Shepard is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha