lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-29-2015, 04:44 PM   #1
DoorKicker
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default solenoid trouble???

My cart has been recently overhauled from top to bottom

This weekend I noticed two things going wrong.

First, when driving the cart seemed to all of a sudden speed up slightly on flat surface even though I didn't press down harder on the pedal

Then the next day it wouldn't go at all and then suddenly lunge forward

Now it sporadically seems to do this. Sometimes it will go when I push the pedal, and sometimes it wont at first, but then lunges forward...

Does this sound like a solenoid problem?
DoorKicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-29-2015, 09:02 PM   #2
DoorKicker
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: solenoid trouble???

tonight I figured out that the only place that is getting hot is the FR switch, I guess that is the problem.

So who sells that upgraded F/R switch, looks like I need an upgrade

Would a failing F/R switch cause the symptoms I am having?
Old 03-29-2015, 09:23 PM   #3
beach cart
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Carts unlimited.net
beach cart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 09:40 PM   #4
DoorKicker
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Superduty Reversing Contactor 48v
Item # SW202-48v
Select Manufacture: Ezgo

is this what I need to replace what is pictured below?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FnR.jpg (207.8 KB, 0 views)
Old 03-30-2015, 05:26 AM   #5
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Are you sure that's the problem? Randomly changing out parts, rather than systematically trouble-shooting, can be costly.

Based on the limited info, I'd look at the connections to the ITS and throttle microswitch. Since you just completed an overhaul, did you wash it, maybe letting water get into the throttle box? When it doesn't go, does the solenoid click? A bad/dirty/intermittent connection to the ITS and/or throttle microswitch could cause the symptoms listed. There is a MOLEX connector that connects the throttle box to the wiring harness. I'd look at that as a possible suspect. Unplug, spray contact cleaner, then unplug/replug a couple of times.

The solenoid is an on/off switch, and does nothing to affect speed.
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 08:23 PM   #6
DoorKicker
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by yurtle View Post
Are you sure that's the problem? Randomly changing out parts, rather than systematically trouble-shooting, can be costly.

Based on the limited info, I'd look at the connections to the ITS and throttle microswitch. Since you just completed an overhaul, did you wash it, maybe letting water get into the throttle box? When it doesn't go, does the solenoid click? A bad/dirty/intermittent connection to the ITS and/or throttle microswitch could cause the symptoms listed. There is a MOLEX connector that connects the throttle box to the wiring harness. I'd look at that as a possible suspect. Unplug, spray contact cleaner, then unplug/replug a couple of times.

The solenoid is an on/off switch, and does nothing to affect speed.
I don't want to do that, but I really don't know what else to do. If I follow the heat, I end up at the F/R switch and all I know to do is replace it with a bigger and better one?
Old 03-31-2015, 06:33 AM   #7
HiTechRedNeck
Gone Wild

Talk to ScottyB .
CartsUnlimited.net

He is site sponsor. He has high quality heavy duty f/r assy as well as contactor(sol)
replacement that puts the f/r switch on dash like a pds cart.
HiTechRedNeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 01:46 PM   #8
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoorKicker View Post
I don't want to do that, but I really don't know what else to do. If I follow the heat, I end up at the F/R switch and all I know to do is replace it with a bigger and better one?
Answer the questions asked. I don't doubt the FNR might be the problem, but both the FNR and solenoid ONLY make it go. You mentioned speeding up on flats. Sounds like it "maybe" more than just two on/off switches.

I agree heat is a problem. Check connections and cables. If you have bad connections, heat may have damaged the FNR, which may cause more and/or less resistance. Same at the solenoid.

When it doesn't go, does the solenoid click????
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 09:51 PM   #9
DoorKicker
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by yurtle View Post
Answer the questions asked. I don't doubt the FNR might be the problem, but both the FNR and solenoid ONLY make it go. You mentioned speeding up on flats. Sounds like it "maybe" more than just two on/off switches.

I agree heat is a problem. Check connections and cables. If you have bad connections, heat may have damaged the FNR, which may cause more and/or less resistance. Same at the solenoid.

When it doesn't go, does the solenoid click????
Has not been washed nor has it been in any water. The solenoid makes a single click sound when I depress the throttle. Also the controller has a little light that will flash green and then turn red if I hold the throttle down

I get NOTHING forward or reverse now.

Could it be a bad battery???

Thanks for any help
Old 04-10-2015, 10:50 PM   #10
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

sometimes, not always, but sometimes when the F&R is begining to fail and contact is compromised somewhat you can grab the handle and pull or push on it some to improve or decrease contact. This can make a no go cart go or a slow cart faster or vise versa.... sometimes, not always. Other times a bad cable end can cause similar trouble, check em for heat.... you mentioned heat at the F&R ... that's a sign of bad contact or high resistance. If the cable is good the F&R contacts may be bad.
You can disassemble the F&R easily to inspect the 8 contacts. Remove nut B in the pic below.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg F&R-Exploded-View-for-print.jpg (133.1 KB, 0 views)
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO