lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts
Electric golf carts Harley Davidson, Melex, Pargo, Taylor-Dunn and other Misc. Carts.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-16-2015, 10:37 PM   #1
KTKelly
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default Trojan DC-8V vs. T=875

Planning on getting new batteries, and had a local shop state that the DC-8V was a better battery than the T-875.

I'm thinking he's just trying to sell what he has the most of, and is just trying to move them out of stock.

DC-8V specs:

@25 Amps
@56 Amps

5-Hr Rate 135
20-Hr Rate 160
100-Hr Rate 176
energy kWh 1,42

T-875 specs:

@25 Amps
@56 Amps
5-Hr Rate 145
10-Hr Rate 155
20-Hr Rate 170
100-Hr Rate 189
energy kWh 1.51

Opinions?
KTKelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-17-2015, 06:27 AM   #2
kernal
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Trojan DC-8V vs. T=875

The numbers speak for themselves. The 875 is better in every respect.

Here is a comparison chart commonly used here.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 8 Volt Battery AH comparisons.jpg (79.6 KB, 0 views)
kernal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 07:21 AM   #3
KTKelly
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

While I'm pretty sure the T-875 IS better, that graph doesn't show the DC-6V, but rather shows the Traveler 8V which looks to be equivalent, so it doesn't seem to answer the question.

My other thought on this battery matter is:

I assume these batteries have a manufacture date?

If they sit on the shelf at a dealers place for a lengthy time will that have any ill effect?
Old 08-17-2015, 09:57 AM   #4
kernal
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Dc-8v is not on that chart. You provided the specs for it. It's capacity is less than the T-875. Al else being equal the battery with the higher capacity will give more range per charge and theoretically longer service life because the depth of discharge will be less per cycle. Whether or not this is worth it to you depends on your intended use and the price, which seems to vary widely by region.

Who makes the DC-8v? I assumed it was an 8v battery. Likewise I assume the DC-6v is a 6v battery. I don't have the specs for it either. Here is a chart for 6v batteries. If you have the specs for the DC-6v you can compare it to these common golf cart batteries.

I assumed you were shopping 8v batteries to put in a 48v golf cart. If that is the case then the T-875 has higher capacity than the DC-8 so under the same conditions the Trojan will perform better. If the other battery is significantly lower in price and will give you the performance you require then it might be the better deal.

I have never been able to find a hard and fast rule as to shelf life before entering service. My personal opinion is 3-4 months is probably ok but 6 months is probably too long and should be discounted if sold.

Trojan stamps a date code on the negative terminal. It would be difficult to alter or forge. Some companies engrave on the case (Crown for example) and some put a label on it somewhere.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 6 Volt Battery AH comparisons.jpg (99.0 KB, 0 views)
kernal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 10:30 AM   #5
teecro
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTKelly View Post
Planning on getting new batteries, and had a local shop state that the DC-8V was a better battery than the T-875.

I'm thinking he's just trying to sell what he has the most of, and is just trying to move them out of stock.

Opinions?
Exactly that opinions... Local dealer wants to sell what he has on hand not what he has to order so to him the DC-8 is better than the T-875..
teecro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 07:40 PM   #6
KTKelly
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

The DC=8V is a Trojan battery.

Second time I entered the number I inadvertently hit the 6 instead of the 8, and could get back to edit the error.

Good to know about the date code for sure. Thanks for that info.

My usage on these batteries will be very low, since its only four blocks to the beach, and I have my doubt there will be more than 50 some round trips per year.
Old 08-17-2015, 08:44 PM   #7
teecro
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTKelly View Post
The DC=8V is a Trojan battery.
That's where the confusion set in; not knowing that both were Trojan battery...

Regardless the T-875 is still a bit MORE battery than the DC-8V but if the price is right it is not going to matter since your not using your cart for long distance rides....
teecro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 10:08 AM   #8
KTKelly
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

It's about 15 miles across the island, and although the cart might make it there and back, the street restrictions, would have me going closer to 20 miles one way, so I may not make it back...

Honestly, the cart is really only for the short trip to the beach and back.

Load up the cooler, lawn chairs, towels and all the other junk, it's not a good walk.

While some here have these really nice trailers they pull to the beach, I'm installing a rack on top, since the trailer is a PIA when you get to the tiny parking area for bicycles & carts.

One of my neighbors has a lifted limo cart and a custom trailer that's just as long as his cart. Quite a sight to see that going down the street, what with all the bling, and the length.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts