lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts
Electric golf carts Harley Davidson, Melex, Pargo, Taylor-Dunn and other Misc. Carts.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-21-2018, 04:49 PM   #1
pedrocr
Not Yet Wild

Default Electric flail mower?

I've been considering an ATV flail mower to tow behind my Toro Workman. Something like this:

https://newbang.en.alibaba.com/produ...26245452Ev0MMj

They're basically a version of a PTO flail mower with a Honda 13HP engine attached directly and a set of wheels and normal hitch instead of the three point.

I contacted a few of these Alibaba sellers and it seems it's not too hard to get one shipped to me. But then it got me thinking that I could perhaps replace the gas engine with another electric motor and a second speed controller and drive it from the battery pack of the Toro. Besides being less noisy it would allow me to easily turn it on an off from the drivers seat.

Has anyone done something like this? Is it too crazy? Is driving two speed controllers from the same battery pack something that can be done?

If its not too crazy does anyone have any pointers to good motors and speed controllers to use? For the speed control I'd basically only need on/off but with ramp-up/ramp-down of speed so as to not shock the drive of the mower. For the engine it seems the Honda uses a PTO shaft so I'd either need to adapt to it or get a motor that already uses that shaft.
pedrocr is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-21-2018, 05:43 PM   #2
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

Default Re: Electric flail mower?

Would you have the torque and RPM's necessary? How much and how fast will it drain your pack? Lot to consider.
Mooncarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 05:59 PM   #3
pedrocr
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooncarter View Post
Would you have the torque and RPM's necessary? How much and how fast will it drain your pack? Lot to consider.
Here's the Honda engine:

http://engines.honda.com/models/model-detail/gx390

26Nm at 2500rpm can probably be replaced by an electric motor that does 10 or 15 Nm because of the better low end torque. From a quick search it seems that should be relatively easy to source. I'll have to run some simple math for the pack drain but I won't be doing too much mowing anyway. We never run out of juice these days.

It may be too much complexity for little gain though. Maybe just putting up with the engine noise occasionally and using something that is already tried and tested is the sensible option.
Old 06-21-2018, 06:25 PM   #4
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

I had a little flail mower, about 4 foot wide with a B&S motor on it. I towed it behind the Craftsman tractor but, the tow vehicle tires would flatten the grass and the mower would leave to strips that would pop back up a day later...
Then I mounted it out front of the Craftsman with big swivel wheels and the tractor lost all traction, even with my fat ash on the set. It was

Sooo... I advertised it on CL and the next day some guy was thrilled to take it home to try. Just like I was
scottyb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 06:32 PM   #5
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

"We never run out of juice these days." What on earth does that mean?
Mooncarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 12:40 AM   #6
pedrocr
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooncarter View Post
"We never run out of juice these days." What on earth does that mean?
Our batteries last much longer than we ever use in a day of work with the cart. So we should have energy to spare for the mower.
Old 06-22-2018, 05:26 AM   #7
pedrocr
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
I had a little flail mower, about 4 foot wide with a B&S motor on it. I towed it behind the Craftsman tractor but, the tow vehicle tires would flatten the grass and the mower would leave to strips that would pop back up a day later...
Then I mounted it out front of the Craftsman with big swivel wheels and the tractor lost all traction, even with my fat ash on the set. It was

Sooo... I advertised it on CL and the next day some guy was thrilled to take it home to try. Just like I was
How wide are the tracks of the Craftsman? The Toro leaves plenty of undisturbed grasses between the wheel tracks to then cut with the mower. Easily 1m between the insides of the wheels which should match well with the ~1.2m mower to leave a nice cut path with the sides stepped on by the wheels.
Old 06-22-2018, 08:21 AM   #8
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedrocr View Post
How wide are the tracks of the Craftsman? The Toro leaves plenty of undisturbed grasses between the wheel tracks to then cut with the mower. Easily 1m between the insides of the wheels which should match well with the ~1.2m mower to leave a nice cut path with the sides stepped on by the wheels.
An electric cart outweighs the gas Craftsman I used significantly. Are you just cutting a single path or mowing a field? Eventually you will have to mow the grass the wheels have laid down. Conventional blade mowers create a lift to pull the laid down grass up into the blade. The flail mower does not create a lift. They do make tow behind conventional blade mowers. Whatever you do keep us posted on the results.
scottyb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 04:45 PM   #9
pedrocr
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
An electric cart outweighs the gas Craftsman I used significantly. Are you just cutting a single path or mowing a field? Eventually you will have to mow the grass the wheels have laid down. Conventional blade mowers create a lift to pull the laid down grass up into the blade. The flail mower does not create a lift. They do make tow behind conventional blade mowers. Whatever you do keep us posted on the results.
We almost only want to cut paths. Our fields are already occupied with perennial crops so we mostly need to have a way to more effectively clear paths when spring comes and they get filled with grasses. Tall grasses and tick season are a health hazard.

We've considered a bunch of options:

- Both the flail mower and finish/rough cut mowers that are what you describe. They don't seem as rugged as the flail one but will probably work very well for our use.
- Using a weighted roller to just crush the whole path as the parts that the cart wheels steps on already make a decent path so crushing the middle as well might work.
- Creating a blade mower driven by just being pulled. The design in my head is just a rear end of a rear wheel drive car with the diff driving a gear that turns the mowing blade.

Probably just getting a tow behind flail or blade mower is the simple solution but I keep daydreaming about electric conversions or no-engine solutions :)
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts