lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-04-2019, 09:21 PM   #21
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

Default Re: Alltrax controller both diodes

What you describe is certainly what occurs if a diode is placed on backwards. I know yours appeared to be correct, but I would check it again. The silver banded side pf the diode should be towards the Light Blue wire and is the Positive activation wire.

If you try it again, please take a pic for us to review with you.
NoleFan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-05-2019, 09:37 AM   #22
pcool69
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Pretty sure I had it backwards based on the description of your last post. In your picture, it appears to me that the band of the coil suppression diode is on the left side of the diode (I think it's just a reflection) and that both the regen diode and the coil suppression diode are wired in the same direction.

I ordered another coil suppression diode which will be here at the end of the week and will try again.
pcool69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 10:05 PM   #23
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcool69 View Post
Pretty sure I had it backwards based on the description of your last post. In your picture, it appears to me that the band of the coil suppression diode is on the left side of the diode (I think it's just a reflection) and that both the regen diode and the coil suppression diode are wired in the same direction.

I ordered another coil suppression diode which will be here at the end of the week and will try again.
You hit the nail on the head!
(And trust me, you are not the first and will not be the last to do that. Thus the reason I tried to lay it out in words and pics.) Good Luck as I am sure you will have it this time.
Old 11-13-2019, 04:35 PM   #24
TahoeDawgZ71
revolutiongolfcars.com

Club Car

Default Re: Alltrax XCT install pics.

I've attached a photo here for reference for those who want to see a picture. If you notice the silver stripe on the diode, it's oriented towards the light blue wire, and away from the dark blue wire with the white stripe. Not every vehicle may have the same coloring of these two wires, but the diagram in the Alltrax XCT booklet will reflect the correct wire color for each specific vehicle. I have to deal with customers quite often who are totally confused when installing their solenoids so I'll try and explain how a solenoid works.

Typical golf car solenoids have four terminals. Two coil terminals and two contactor terminals. The coil terminals are the small ones and the contactor terminals are the large ones. When you provide 48 Volts of power to the two coils terminals, the solenoid will click (or close) and will make an internal connection between the large contactor terminals. As with any DC circuit, the solenoid requires a positive and a negative. The coil suppression diode is installed between the positive and negative terminals on the solenoid coil to prolong the life of the solenoid driver in the controller and the life of the solenoid itself. When the power is applied to the coils, it comes in as a sudden inrush of power. The coil suppression diode helps to protect the solenoid and the controller against voltage spikes during this sudden inrush of electrical current. A diode is designed to allow electricity to only flow in one direction. If the diode is installed in the incorrect direction, power can flow from one terminal to the other and end up in places it shouldn't be, creating a direct short between these two terminals. With a controller such as the Alltrax SR or the XCT, this is not going to cause any damage because it has built-in polarity protection. If you install a diode incorrectly on a solenoid with a factory Curtis controller, it'll ruin the controller immediately when you try to operate the car. It will fry the solenoid driver circuit. It's extremely important to install these diodes correctly the first time.

There is no polarity of a solenoid. The polarity comes from the diode. Lots of my customers are often confused by the fact that the light blue wire may have been on the right side of the solenoid, but is shown in the drawing on the left side of the solenoid. There is no left or right on a solenoid. It makes no difference which small post you use as long as the diode is oriented properly. The same can be said for the two large terminals. The Regen Diode that comes with the controller must be installed on the large terminals with the banded (striped) side of the diode oriented towards the side of the solenoid (left or right, it doesn't matter) where the incoming power from the battery pack is connected to the solenoid.

If you'll notice in the picture, the diodes that we use are not only marked by a stripe, but to make it even easier, there is a red side and a black side if you look at the wire on each side. Red being positive and black being negative. The Regen diode provided by Alltrax is the same way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
TahoeDawgZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2020, 04:03 PM   #25
Richio316
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: Alltrax XCT install pics.

Thanks for taking the time to post this valuable information. Wiring schematics can be confusing! I know!! Lol

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk
Richio316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2020, 09:38 PM   #26
Tysdad2010
Not Yet Wild

I've gotta 2006 Precedent with hump in the middle and run&tow switch. I just ordered a 500amp Alltrax controller and 400amp seloinod. I've yet to see anyone have pictures and advice installing on cart like mine with 4 12v batteries.
Tysdad2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2020, 05:08 PM   #27
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

This thread was more for just the diode orientation for the contactor (solenoid) when working with an Alltrax controller. If that is your question, then they install in the the same manner on your 1st generation Precedent. If you are asking for install help for the controller and solenoid, then you will get the best help by starting a new thread and we will all assist you as best we can.
Old 03-07-2020, 07:24 PM   #28
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

You might find something here
http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=140231
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 05:38 PM   #29
Ted4Alltrax
Not Yet Wild

Mixed Breed

Call Alltrax Tech support @ 541-476-3565 7am-330am pacific time
Ted4Alltrax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2020, 02:32 PM   #30
Bigkaluna
Not Yet Wild

I have been trying to get my Alltrax to run my cart, after sending it to Alltrax and getting another one. I am still getting same response. Solenoid clicks and light is flashing green two times then goes to red. It should not be this hard to install this computer.
Bigkaluna is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car