lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-26-2019, 12:06 PM   #21
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Default Re: electrical problems installing digital volt guage

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvandyke View Post
continuing the troubleshooting electrical break- checking the run/tow J3 pins as suggested: "The voltage on J1 Pin-4 goes through the Run/Tow switch before it gets to J1 Pin-1. Check the voltages on J3."

pack voltage was 37.7 at start of check
in Tow mode: J3 run mode J3
Pin 1 red= 37.7 37.7
pin2 red/y=28.9 37.7
pin3 red/w=37.7 37.7
pin4 org/r=0 37.7

I see that pin4 goes thru something called REG in controller before going to J1 pin1. beyond that I am lost.

thank for any guidance, hoping to not replace controller but time will see.
The voltage on J3 Pin-2 in Tow mode is waving a red flag, but it is a separate issue. (The voltage comes in on J1 Pin-5 and charges the filter capacitors after going through the Run/Tow switch, but there is a diode between the filter caps and J3 Pin-2, so seeing a voltage there with Run/Tow switch in Tow doesn't seem right. however, shouldn't effect operation.)

Having pack voltage on all four J3 pins when in RUN is good. Not having pack voltage on J1 Pin-1 is abnormal, so there is a problem between J3 Pin-4 and J1 Pin-1 inside the controller. (The "REG" is in parallel to J1 Pin1 and is the voltage regulator that supplies the power to the controller's electronics.)

From what I can tell, the problem is inside the controller, so the controller needs to be replaced.

Recommend replacing it with an Alltrax48400-PDS (or larger).
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-26-2019, 12:23 PM   #22
lvandyke
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

I was afraid it was coming to that-but your guidance helped me (and I'm sure others) to understand the flow of the go.

I'll price the controller suggested. hopefully it will be an easy install.
lvandyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 10:08 AM   #23
lvandyke
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

after lot of rainy days in TX, I finally can get back to my electrical troubleshooting Controller. I opted to repair my controller w/ a reputable tech, Casey M from Controllermd for $102.00 since I use the cart so sparingly. just got it back (less then 1 week) and will update after installation. he said there was "a trail of wreckage " from the two/run switch on. Yep..that was me alright. you can bet I'll take care to not duplicate that again.
Old 05-12-2019, 12:48 PM   #24
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvandyke View Post
after lot of rainy days in TX, I finally can get back to my electrical troubleshooting Controller. I opted to repair my controller w/ a reputable tech, Casey M from Controllermd for $102.00 since I use the cart so sparingly. just got it back (less then 1 week) and will update after installation. he said there was "a trail of wreckage " from the two/run switch on. Yep..that was me alright. you can bet I'll take care to not duplicate that again.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2019, 08:31 PM   #25
lvandyke
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

final post and resolution on this thread- rebuilt controller installed- cart rolls again, and I will run separate wires for digital VM back to battery pack. thanks for the education on electrical troubleshooting the controller.
this site is the best!.
peace out..
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO