lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-24-2019, 07:27 PM   #1
hhansen59
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Battery charge issue? 2001 TXT 36v

I am asking for advice on a problem that I had yesterday while on the course. Full charge on leaving house and on uphill on 15th the cart would not climb a moderate hill. Pushed to top of hill and it would go on a level or downhill for awhile until encountering another hill. Had to tow home, able to drive into garage on flat surface.

Batteries read 35.8. Let sit overnight not charging and it read 36.4 today. I put on charger today and after charger turned off after 2 hours it ready 37.9. I checked water level and no plates were uncovered but batteries 5 & 6 (6 being negative to cart, battery 1 being positive to cart) were lower than the others.
I topped off batteries 5 & 6 and put charger on, it started charging and I noticed batteries 1 -4 showing bubbles but no charging bubbles in 5 and 6. Checked voltage on each battery with charger off. Batteries 1-4 at 6.5, batteries 5 & 6 at 5.9. Put charger back on and it came on and ran for 40 minutes or so and shut off. Batteries read the same. I removed cables to make sure clean connections and put back together. Same result, batteries 5 & 6 do not seem to be charging. Batteries are only 2 months old so I am stumped.

Does anyone have any ideas as to what I am dealing with. Thanks
hhansen59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-25-2019, 09:45 AM   #2
orangeman6
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: Battery charge issue? 2001 TXT 36v

You’ve got some bad batteries, as you already figured out. What batteries do you have? Attached is a soc chart from johnnieb. I think it’s based on Trojans, but it’s a good enough reference for a cart working poorly like yours. Note that you won’t get true readings directly off of a charge cycle.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 725E192C-562B-4764-8575-D3D68E6E21BA.jpeg (127.1 KB, 0 views)
orangeman6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2019, 11:22 AM   #3
hhansen59
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

I took the batteries out and got same readings and tried charging separately and the 2 bad ones don't seem to want to take a charge as they charger kicks off and on. I am going to take them back to the distributor next week and I suspect they will exchange them since they are only 7 weeks old.
hhansen59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2019, 11:37 AM   #4
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

I'd consider doing them all. Sometimes bad batches do occur. Call first, as they may not agree.

While you wait, check the four "good" ones, and see if they settle in around 6.37 each, 12 or more hours after charge completion.

If they're closed for the weekend, try chargine the two bad ones with a 12 volt car charger. Put cart in tow, if it has that. No need to disconnect anything.
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO