lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-29-2019, 05:34 PM   #1
nealer
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Power wise charger not turning on

Hi all!
I have a 36v DCS cart, and the charger just stopped coming on. Batteries are relatively new. I cleaned the connections on both receptacles, including the third wire in the charger plug. When I checked the volts at the cart plug, it goes all over from 48-25? Any help would be appreciated!
Also, how can I charge the batteries in the mean time?
Thanks!
nealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-29-2019, 05:40 PM   #2
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Default Re: Power wise charger not turning on

Until you get solid pack voltage in the cart's charger port, it's unlikely you'll be able to reliably charge the cart. You may be able to get it to start by lifting the charger plug or pushing it to one side.

Clean the plug radsaks, the metal prongs in both the charger port and charger plug. I'm attaching a pic that shows the parts that contact, including an Aux contact, which may be dirty or bent. The cart's parts can be accessed without the need to drill out rivets. Just unscrew the top. Don't drop the nuts on the bottom.

If you still have a reed switch, I'd consider bypassing that. They aren't really made of off golf course driving.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Charger Plug.jpg (157.9 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Ezgo Reed Switch Bypass.jpg (169.2 KB, 0 views)
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 06:14 PM   #3
nealer
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Thanks for the reply yurtle!
Do I need to disconnect batteries? Looks like the red wire is already attached to white lead. i tried moving the plugs to get it to start, but no luck. I checked the wires where they attach to the plug on the cart and I get the same wacky readings.
Old 05-29-2019, 06:21 PM   #4
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

First, I think you need to get your hands on a volt meter that can get you reliable readings.

Feel comfortable opening the charger? If so, open it and check for pack voltage across the black and white wires from the DC cord. Then check for pack voltage across the white and pink wires from the DC cord. If there is a fuse in the charger, test on both sides of the fuse to verify it's good. These tests are to be done with charger plugged into cart. If these tests pass (both show pack voltage), check for 120v at wall outlet. If this test passes too, you probably have a bad control board in the charger.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 06:59 PM   #5
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

May not be your exact model, but probably close enough, unless yours has a timer - old.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Generic Charger - Auto Shutoff - Two Wire Plug.JPG (41.5 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg LeatronicII-PWII-3wireplug.jpg (41.2 KB, 0 views)
Attached Files
File Type: pdf troubleshootingguide.pdf (62.2 KB, 0 views)
Old 05-29-2019, 07:00 PM   #6
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgtech View Post
First, I think you need to get your hands on a volt meter that can get you reliable readings.

Feel comfortable opening the charger? If so, open it and check for pack voltage across the black and white wires from the DC cord. Then check for pack voltage across the white and pink wires from the DC cord. If there is a fuse in the charger, test on both sides of the fuse to verify it's good. These tests are to be done with charger plugged into cart. If these tests pass (both show pack voltage), check for 120v at wall outlet. If this test passes too, you probably have a bad control board in the charger.
Check batteries in your meter. Bad batteries may cause erratic readings.
Old 05-29-2019, 07:28 PM   #7
nealer
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgtech View Post

You might be right about the meter, although I just changed the batteries. Pack voltage shows 36.4, which seems about right. The black and white wires inside the charger show .7 volts, .9 volts at the red (no pink wire) and black.
Thanks for the reply!
Old 05-29-2019, 07:32 PM   #8
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by nealer View Post
You might be right about the meter, although I just changed the batteries. Pack voltage shows 36.4, which seems about right. The black and white wires inside the charger show .7 volts, .9 volts at the red (no pink wire) and black.
Thanks for the reply!
That's not right - close to 50% SOC, which you should never see. Get them on charge ASAP. If you feel confident, I'd open the charge plug, and hard wire it to the charge port.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Charger Plug.jpg (157.9 KB, 0 views)
Old 05-29-2019, 08:20 PM   #9
nealer
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by yurtle View Post
That's not right - close to 50% SOC, which you should never see. Get them on charge ASAP. If you feel confident, I'd open the charge plug, and hard wire it to the charge port.
Well, the battery meter is reading about half charged. I do not ever let that happen, but I got teenagers-and they do not share my respect for the cart!
Is it not charging because the level is too low?
I will hard wire and get back to you.
Old 05-29-2019, 08:31 PM   #10
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Dunno. Did you do what cgtech asked?
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO