lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car > Lithium Club Car

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-08-2021, 08:50 AM   #11
PingEye3
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Need new a BMS- Need some help

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffro22 View Post
thank you very much for the detailed write up!. I wills end you a PM on the box. Will probably go ahead and order this BMS . Thanks again for all the help
If you haven't bought from them before, set up an account or you won't get any tracking info. I usually spend $20 or so extra for UPS shipping, usually arrives in 2 weeks.
PingEye3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-08-2021, 08:51 AM   #12
PingEye3
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat911 View Post
I use only “Chinese” BMS’s, not only for cart use but for all my lithium builds. I’ve built tiny two cell 2Ah packs (with $2.00 BMS’s) and large 42 cell 120Ah packs, always with “Chinese” BMS’s.

I’ve never had one fail, NEVER.

Now, I’m not saying that they don’t fail, any piece of electronics can fail, regardless of how expensive it is or where it was made.

When it comes to cart use, as long as you don’t try to pass motor current through the It, the Chinese BMS will be just as reliable as anything else you purchase, especially JBD, who are an OEM manufacturer for some name brand BMS’s.

I always like to over spec and that will help reduce failures. I use 60A - 100A on my cart builds. Using a larger BMS will also enable you to use a larger charger as the charge current is passed through the BMS. I charge my 21 module Leaf pack with a 35A charger. It has a 60A BMS on it. It will fully charge the pack (120Ah) from empty in around 3.5 hours.

Cheers
Pat.
Nice write up Pat.
PingEye3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2021, 10:23 AM   #13
simicrintz
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by PingEye3 View Post
Dave, those are my opinions on Zeva. I know there are lots of them being used successfully out there without issues. McJefe with a nice long lithium post on BGW is still running two packs with Zeva, but the last pack he built was with Chinese BMS. I had issues that I never had with the Chinese version, thus my comments.
I certainly wasn't trying to throw you under the bus, PE3! I enjoy reading your posts and learn a lot from you and thought it would be helpful here
simicrintz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2021, 08:48 PM   #14
yensidcamper
Getting Wild
Club Car

I did have my JBD/Xioxiang BMS fail but it didn't stop me from ordering it again. The failure was weird. It did cut the power to the cart and appeared the batteries had dropped way too low according the BMS but when taken apart the batteries were real close to the low end set point and were fine. It would not allow me to charge the batteries. I am using the 20A model. I followed Sergio's build. I did have my charger negative running through the B- instead of the C- when it failed. I have no idea if this caused the failure or not. I have now moved the charger negative to the C-. One benefit of this is I can now see the amps going through the BMS as it charges. I have a 10A charger but it puts out a little over 12A according to the BMS. For some reason the Bluetooth range on my latest BMS is a lot further than the first one, even though I ordered the exact same model. I got it from AliExpress which took about 3 weeks.
yensidcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2021, 07:25 AM   #15
DaveTM
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by yensidcamper View Post
I did have my JBD/Xioxiang BMS fail but it didn't stop me from ordering it again. The failure was weird. It did cut the power to the cart and appeared the batteries had dropped way too low according the BMS but when taken apart the batteries were real close to the low end set point and were fine. It would not allow me to charge the batteries. I am using the 20A model. I followed Sergio's build. I did have my charger negative running through the B- instead of the C- when it failed. I have no idea if this caused the failure or not. I have now moved the charger negative to the C-. One benefit of this is I can now see the amps going through the BMS as it charges. I have a 10A charger but it puts out a little over 12A according to the BMS. For some reason the Bluetooth range on my latest BMS is a lot further than the first one, even though I ordered the exact same model. I got it from AliExpress which took about 3 weeks.

Just a possibility, but when your batteries get near the low cutoff it may be that when you draw power from the pack, the pack, or an individual cell voltage drops below the LV cutoff. Even though this happens during a power draw....when the "at rest" voltage is above the LV cutoff....the cell may drop below the LV setting....thus causing your LV trip.

This happens with my ZEVA BMS all the time. Well, I don't let this occur a lot as when my pack gets near the battery "knee" I charge it back up and avoid this situation.

FWIW
DaveTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2021, 09:55 AM   #16
emoney
Not Yet Wild

I've yet to have either a JDB/LLT BMS fail or a Daly. (knocking on wood as I type) I've only used the larger, 150A Daly's with the fan I should add. For the JDB's I've used both the mosfet version and the contactor version without issue. I see people all the time say their "BMS" failed when what happened was the BMS actually worked and shut off the battery. Unfortunately they didn't understand that and rebuild their packs. A desktop power supply can be your best friend with a lithium battery pack.
emoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2021, 05:04 PM   #17
Pat911
Gone Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by emoney View Post
A desktop power supply can be your best friend with a lithium battery pack.
Couldn’t agree with that more, except to add it must have current limiting and preferably adjustable.

The correct name is a Laboratory Power Supply.

Cheers
Pat.
Pat911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car > Lithium Club Car