lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-26-2021, 09:09 AM   #1
mguidry629
Not Yet Wild

Default All signs point to bad speed sensor, but....

2012 Club Car Precedent, 48v 6x8v

Our street flooded in May and used the cart to bring my neighbor home through some high water. It ran normal for a day or two after. Then it went into limp mode 8mph top speed. Ordered speed sensor and put it in, no change. Then a couple days later, it would only move 5-10 feet and die. Had to wait a minute then move 5-10 more. Pulled the motor, which was a year old DD Torque motor. Some water came out and it had a little corrosion in there. Called DD and they wanted me to ship it back to rebuild it but because of the cost to ship both ways, I decided to buy a new one.

Installed new motor and no change. Still moved 5-10 feet and died. After some testing I determined the solenoid was bad. Replaced it and the cart works again! But it's back in limp mode 8mph.

When I push the cart in run mode, no beeping or braking. Has to be the speed sensor, right? But the speed sensor is brand new, and I have another brand new one that I swapped out and no change. Then I have a 3rd one (the one that flooded), tried it and no change. Tried 2 different magnets too.

If it's not the speed sensor, then what else could it be?

Has plenty of power until it hits 8mph.
mguidry629 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-26-2021, 09:14 AM   #2
rowlands57
Gone Wild
Club Car

Default Re: All signs point to bad speed sensor, but....

If you trace the wires from the speed sensor back to the harness you may find corrosion in a connector that was submerged at some point. Happens to vehicles up here in the NY area due to long term exposure to snow and salt....
rowlands57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2021, 12:01 PM   #3
mguidry629
Not Yet Wild

I thought about that too...the wires go into a sleeve and disappear, lol. But I'm guessing they go to the controller? The controller and all wiring look fine physically from what I can see and they weren't submerged in water like the motor and speed sensor were. The MCOR was submerged too but it doesn't seem like the MCOR would cause these symptoms.
Old 08-26-2021, 04:27 PM   #4
R&TBabich
Gone Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by mguidry629 View Post
I thought about that too...the wires go into a sleeve and disappear, lol. But I'm guessing they go to the controller? The controller and all wiring look fine physically from what I can see and they weren't submerged in water like the motor and speed sensor were. ....
Did you measure the continuity of the 3 speed sensor connector wires to the controller - pins #13, #14 & #15
R&TBabich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2021, 04:59 PM   #5
Scott quail
Gone Wild

Have you checked your voltage? If its not the speed sensor. Could be dropping out?
Scott quail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2021, 11:05 AM   #6
mguidry629
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by R&TBabich View Post
Did you measure the continuity of the 3 speed sensor connector wires to the controller - pins #13, #14 & #15
No, I haven't tried that. That's why I posted here...not sure what to try next. I have a multimeter, but I'm not the best at understanding what it all means. What setting and reading am I looking for?

I did check voltage of the battery pack, at full charge it's 50.9V. At full throttle it goes down to 47 then settles at 48v. I'm guessing a little voltage drop is normal?
Old 08-27-2021, 01:37 PM   #7
mguidry629
Not Yet Wild

OK, I checked continuity between 2 of the 3 wires. Red and Green go to the controller, purple goes somewhere else, looks like it might go to the MCOR. Red and green both have continuity. I'm going to try and find a wiring diagram to find out where purple goes.
Old 08-27-2021, 01:52 PM   #8
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

On a newer cart purple is ground
kgsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2021, 01:17 PM   #9
mguidry629
Not Yet Wild

OK, I'm going to bump this thread because I need to get back to trouble shooting again. Hurricane Ida came through on 8/29/21 and did a lot of damage around here but things are starting to settle and I need to get this cart running top speed again.

Yes, purple is ground, I found a wiring diagram but it doesn't show where the purple wire goes after it leaves the speed sensor. It looks like it goes to the MCOR, but I haven't dug my way in there to check. And it's just a ground.

Could it be a bad controller?

I hate to bring it to a local shop, but I may break down and do that if I can't figure this out.
Old 09-27-2021, 04:40 PM   #10
movin-on
Gone Wild
Club Car

Another possibility is that the controller isn't releasing the solenoid causing a main driver on fault which will put the cart in limp mode...Next time it is in limp mode turn the key off and listen closely to the solenoid to see if you can hear it disengage...
movin-on is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car