lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-26-2011, 12:09 PM   #1
#1ROOSTER
Not Yet Wild

Default brake drums

need 2 check brakes n wheel bearings but drums r stuck. backed off brakes, soaked with pb blaster, beat n beat on it ....nothing . am i missing something?
#1ROOSTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-26-2011, 02:06 PM   #2
todo_brane_ded
.....He, not ME

E-Z-GO

Default Re: brake drums

Quote:
Originally Posted by #1ROOSTER View Post
need 2 check brakes n wheel bearings but drums r stuck. backed off brakes, soaked with pb blaster, beat n beat on it ....nothing . am i missing something?
Do you have a torch? If you heat the drum in close proximity to the hub it will probably loosen up with a few blows from behind. Sometimes you need to heat it to expand the steel and let it cool and do it a second time.
You probably can get away with Propane torch or better yet MAPP gas if you don't have acetylene torch.

I should say that my experience is with car brake drums and not carts but I beleive it to be the same.
todo_brane_ded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 02:17 PM   #3
#1ROOSTER
Not Yet Wild

thank you lots of exper. on auto none on carts . didnt know if i had to do something special or if had any plastic parts inside that would melt
Old 03-26-2011, 02:29 PM   #4
rib33024

Welcome to BGW

What cart are we talking about??

did you take the pin out of the end of the axle and the nut off of the axle, then try to remove the drum??
rib33024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 02:35 PM   #5
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

If it is stuck on the hub just use a drum puller... lots os times it the shoes that wear into the drum leaving a ridge on the back lip which is catching... often adjustment will relieve it enough to release the shoe but when it won't disconnect the brake cables and tap the lever to the rear of the cart.... sill won't let go grind the head of the spring keeper off of the back side and let the shoes fold together as you pull the drum. The shoe problem is usually indicated by a drum that will move an 8th or so but won't come off. Stuck hub ain't moving at all. Hope this helps somebody
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 03:41 PM   #6
#1ROOSTER
Not Yet Wild

late 70s early 80s ezgo elect. idk year just bought 1st time cart owner. pin is out axle nut off , brakes backed clear down . heat,pb blaster,big hammer...no movement at all
Old 03-26-2011, 07:05 PM   #7
madoc1
no clue

E-Z-GO

you have an autozone near? if you do they loan tools. ask for a drum puller.
madoc1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brakes, wheel bearing, year of cart
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO