lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO > Lithium EZGO

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-02-2021, 07:32 PM   #21
Tom47
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Thinking about going Lithium soon

Quote:
Originally Posted by mycamel View Post
Have you tried putting the neg charger cable directly on the battery post without going through the shunt.
Good point! I wonder why they even recommend connecting it to the shunt.
Tom47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-02-2021, 07:57 PM   #22
mycamel
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

I don't know if the charger is dependent on feedback from the shunt. If not, the voltage drop through the shunt during charging might be messing with the BMS.

Hope you get to the bottom of it.
mycamel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 06:19 AM   #23
Steveweree
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Update: I took my original charger to my ECO battery dealer - BMC Carts in Michigan. They have been very supportive and says ECO is one of their best suppliers. I say again ECO is very responsive, we are just not resolved yet.

BMC connected my original charger to a 36V Eco they had in the shop. Nothing else connected. Battery at 39.8V. Charger fan ran for 6 seconds and then it error coded again. Same behavior as before.

Then connected a new charger they had there, it started up and ran continuously, LED flashing red for charging as it's supposed to. They let me take that charger away to try in the cart (cart is up north so will take a day or two to test).

Still confounded as to why two chargers failed with the same error.

Re: Charger on down side of the shunt - that is specifically called for in the instructions (attached). The LCD monitor does know when the batteries are charging - it flashes (I don't know that from experience yet, of course). I believe it senses the charging voltage across the shunt.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Eco Meter Page 1.jpg (232.9 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Eco Meter Page 2.jpg (235.4 KB, 0 views)
Steveweree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 08:19 AM   #24
Tom47
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveweree View Post
Re: Charger on down side of the shunt - that is specifically called for in the instructions (attached). The LCD monitor does know when the batteries are charging - it flashes (I don't know that from experience yet, of course). I believe it senses the charging voltage across the shunt.
This is sounding like you're getting close to solving the problem. I was thinking maybe you had a mismatch of voltage and/or amperage between the shunt and the meter. However, it seems like this would only affect operating the cart, not charging the packs.

I'm following with my eyes glued to this thread. There is so little customer use input of the ECO packs, especially in the Club Car section or elsewhere. My carts future power use depends on it!
Old 08-03-2021, 08:24 AM   #25
mycamel
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Hopefully it's just a bad charger....

Good thing you have a local dealer who is helping.

Keep us posted.
mycamel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2021, 07:42 AM   #26
Steveweree
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Update: Had a phone conversation with ECO yesterday. I think my case has been upgraded to an engineer. They assured me they will make sure this gets fixed, whatever it takes.

They are confounded at the moment. The chances are so small that I would get two bad chargers in a row they believe there is something wrong with one or both of the battery's BMS that is damaging the charger, but cannot conceive how. They have shipped thousands of these chargers without any issues. They have had one experience of a single cart controller that would just not work with a Lithium battery, but that was on the discharge side.

I pointed out that the charger errored with the individual batteries right out of the box. They were at 39.5V and charger should kick in below 41V. Theorized a battery could have been damaged in shipping. But they were shipped on a pallet to the dealer with several other boxes. There was damage to one of the cardboard battery boxes and the pallet, but the dealer inspected the battery and did not see anything.

Dealer provided a third charger that we know is working on another ECO battery. ECO was hesitant to have us hook that up, figuring it would get damaged too. Having us try it on just one of the batteries while disconnected from the cart. Will try that today hopefully.

Meanwhile ECO is working on a next step, which could be shipping an entire new (and tested) battery/charger package.
Old 08-04-2021, 08:37 AM   #27
Bama Brad
Gone Wild
Mixed Breed

Well I am impressed with their customer service thus far. They seem to be doing what they should (and what a lot of others won't) to correct the problem and make sure you are satisfied. I will be looking at them next time I replace my batteries.
Bama Brad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2021, 09:55 AM   #28
Tom47
Gone Wild

Club Car

I'm feeling a lot better about ECO now. I hope the problem with the original battery kit is found and it is not a coincidence issue. The fact that they are working with you is very encouraging.

My other concern is there are two ECO dealers in my area. One is 3-1/2 hours south in central Florida and the other 3 hours north in South Carolina. I hope more dealers sign on before I need them.
Old 08-04-2021, 02:18 PM   #29
Steveweree
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Update: Third charger is the charm!

Connected the third charger to single battery. Started charging normally (was at 35.1V).
Connected to second battery - also at 35.1V - started charging normally.
Wired everything back in parallel - Charging normally.
Will see how long it takes to charge fully, and run it through a couple of cycles.

Maybe ECO got a bad batch of chargers. I don't see any serial numbers on them.

Anyway, thanks for your comments.
Old 08-04-2021, 02:23 PM   #30
Steveweree
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom47 View Post

My other concern is there are two ECO dealers in my area. One is 3-1/2 hours south in central Florida and the other 3 hours north in South Carolina. I hope more dealers sign on before I need them.

Although I live close to my dealer, BMC Carts, the cart is 3 hours north. ECO did ship the first replacement charger UPS second day air to me. So not bad. A 59lb battery might take a bit longer.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO > Lithium EZGO