lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-14-2012, 01:35 PM   #1
gcroz
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

Default Yamaha G1 running rough at low speeds.

I have a Yamaha G1 and i'm trying to get it up and going so i can actually use it on the local course. The issue is it runs well once i get it going. I have to choke it when its cold...no biggie. But all the screwing around i do with the needle jet seems to make little difference in how it runs at low speed. I removed the carb and completely cleaned it up and out. Spark plug seems good the color of the electrode is perfect cinnamon color. I checked the intake Gasket, removed it and cleaned it. I have no fuel leaks that i can tell. The fuel runs from the fuel line to the carb well. The cart goes awesome at full throttle but seems to sputter at low speed and is inconsistent at less than full throttle...its just not smooth and gives a very jolt-y ride. Does anyone have any ideas?
gcroz is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-14-2012, 05:12 PM   #2
carguymn
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Default Re: Yamaha G1 running rough at low speeds.

Crank seals and/or plugged muffler
carguymn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 05:20 PM   #3
gcroz
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

i will order new crank seals as this seems like maybe a possibility. Can i put the seals in without pulling the motor simply by removing the clutch assembly and the opposite cover? Can the Muffler be cleared by any other method except the "campfire Burn" IE: pouring in some kind of liquid in the pipe and letting it do its magic???
Old 05-14-2012, 06:01 PM   #4
makobuggie
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcroz View Post
i will order new crank seals as this seems like maybe a possibility. Can i put the seals in without pulling the motor simply by removing the clutch assembly and the opposite cover? Can the muffler be cleared by any other method except the "campfire burn" ie: Pouring in some kind of liquid in the pipe and letting it do its magic???
i did my seals a couple of months ago, and i just left the engine on the cart runs great,both sides, i bbq my muffler, good luck.
makobuggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 10:43 AM   #5
gcroz
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

Has anyone heard of a different way to clear the Muffler besides Superheating in a Fire Pit??
Old 05-15-2012, 12:44 PM   #6
carguymn
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcroz View Post
Has anyone heard of a different way to clear the Muffler besides Superheating in a Fire Pit??
U could try a torch in the end of it, but not sure that will work.
carguymn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 01:17 PM   #7
sontag1
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I have read about people "cooking" it on their gas grill.

Here is a link to replace those seals.

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/gas-y...yamaha-g1.html

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/gas-y...-fan-side.html
sontag1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 03:24 PM   #8
gcroz
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

Thanks for the Links I appreciate it. Looks like not too bad of a job. Shouldnt take but an afternoon and a couple cool ones!!
Old 05-15-2012, 03:53 PM   #9
sontag1
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I am in the process of replacing my seals and rebuilding the top end.

If your cart is like mine, everything will be dirty. I could not believe how much dirt was caked inside of the flywheel. Have plenty of rags ready.

The only tough thing is that inner clutch sheave. You will need the special clutch puller ($40), or make your own. Do not use a puller that hooks to the edge of the sheave. You will probably damage it. I made my own puller. It is not perfect, but it worked well. If you can find a sparkplug with the 14mmX1.0 pitch that would be best for the DIY puller. Here is a link to how I did it:

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/gas-y...ch-puller.html

I had me a cool one when that clutch sheave finally popped off!
sontag1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 06:11 PM   #10
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

Check for oil leaking from the crank seals, like behind the clutch. You can check the reeds between the carb and cylinder they need to be closed at rest and not broken, or very close to closed will still run ok. Is most likely seals they are worse the slower it runs, a plugged muffler can stop them from running but often is worse at higher speed plus the exhaust will be very quiet. I had one I shoved a screwdriver/etc up the exhaust outlet and it ran again. In the old days we just drove the cart for about 15min on the floor kept hitting the brakes, put vicegrips on the governor to disable it. It would get the muffler hot and start smoking hard. When the smoke stops it was clean. Problem now is the mufflers are so old and dried out they don't always want to burn that way. You can also cut the muffler open at the seams and clean it, then weld it back up. Oh, also check the rubber carb boot to the reeds for any leaks and cracks.

The needle on the side of the carb is the idle jet and should be about 1.5 turn out to have right idle mix. It only works to about 1/8 throttle then it runs on the main jet. It should be set to idle when you are done. Block the wheels and set the idle speed to go just faster than the starter turns it, it should idle there no problem and the cart not take off unless your belt is dragging. Should be able to push the pedal enough to make it start and it will idle right there, and take off only with more throttle.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha