lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-28-2021, 09:25 AM   #1
Ldl Joe
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default 99 PDS FR Upgrade wiring Question, Hockey puck to HD

Trying to change out my Hockey puck for a Heavy Duty FR switch.

INFO:
99 PDS 36V, 6" lift, Original controller was sent in to a guy to be turned up to 400 amps, worked great for a long time and is now stopping after maybe 100 yds. of driving, seems to have very little torque. Battery indicator goes from fully charged to blinking between yellow and red when it does this yet it will go into reverse just fine and take off with lot's of power. (Brand new batteries and wires were just installed and no change) I'm not good at diagnosing electrical issues so basically I'm throwing parts at it now. I will try and upload pics of what I have as the old hockey puck has 6 wires, 2 that are not connected and the Heavy duty switch has connectors for 4 wires, 3 on one side and 1 on the other.
Thank you in advance and please excuse my ignorance..

PS: I have spent several hours reading the sticky's and searching forum posts and have had no luck finding this...

New FR #2.jpg
Old FR Switch.jpg
Ldl Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-28-2021, 01:08 PM   #2
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 99 PDS FR Upgrade wiring Question, Hockey puck to HD

The old F/R switch is for a sepex drive and the new F/R switch is for a series drive. The new one won't work in your cart.

Also, you are saying your cart has a PDS drive, yet the F/R switch is for a DCS drive.

Attached is a picture of a F/R cam for an early 2000 PDS drive. Note there is only one raised area and there are two raised areas on the cam in the picture you posted.

Take a look at the controller. If it has a 10-pin plug on top, it is a DCS. If it has five plugs on the front, it is a PDS.

In either case, the F/R switch assembly can be replaced with a DPDT/center Off switch or a SPDT/center OFF with a diode.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Early 2000 PDS F-N-R switch.jpg (93.2 KB, 0 views)
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2021, 01:17 PM   #3
Ldl Joe
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnieB View Post
The old F/R switch is for a sepex drive and the new F/R switch is for a series drive. The new one won't work in your cart.

Also, you are saying your cart has a PDS drive, yet the F/R switch is for a DCS drive.

Attached is a picture of a F/R cam for an early 2000 PDS drive. Note there is only one raised area and there are two raised areas on the cam in the picture you posted.

Take a look at the controller. If it has a 10-pin plug on top, it is a DCS. If it has five plugs on the front, it is a PDS.

In either case, the F/R switch assembly can be replaced with a DPDT/center Off switch or a SPDT/center OFF with a diode.
Thank you Johnnie for correcting me!! I looked and it is in fact a 10 pin controller!! Glad Amazon will take it back!! a DPDT will be what I do as that would be a much cleaner install. Are there ant brands that you would suggest or possibly stay away from before I put the tin foil hat on and start searching the web?
Old 10-28-2021, 01:41 PM   #4
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Go down to item #7 near bottom of page. Get the switch and housing. It fits where the direction lever is now and makes shifting between F, N and R easy.

https://www.cartsunlimited.net/f---r--switches.html
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2021, 01:44 PM   #5
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

An FnR switch and housing for a club car works well. Diagram attached
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 502BE39C-5DC2-4B1C-8D55-D5E617F86A91.jpeg (93.4 KB, 0 views)
kgsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2021, 02:41 PM   #6
Ldl Joe
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnieB View Post
Go down to item #7 near bottom of page. Get the switch and housing. It fits where the direction lever is now and makes shifting between F, N and R easy.

https://www.cartsunlimited.net/f---r--switches.html
Done and thank you again for your help!!!
Old 05-03-2022, 06:46 AM   #7
hockeyplayer1984
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgsc View Post
An FnR switch and housing for a club car works well. Diagram attached
Would you happen to have a diagram for a switch with only 3 posts instead of the 6?
hockeyplayer1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2022, 07:51 AM   #8
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Go look here post #7 https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=183822
kgsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO