lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-18-2016, 10:57 PM   #1
Molon Labe
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Default Slip on muffler for campground or hunting

I was wondering if anyone has ever thought about making a slip on silencer for their cart. I have an 82 G1 that is quiet for a 2 stroke but it's still louder than the newer 4 strokes. I was thinking about modifying an old dirt bike exhaust or something similar to the end of the muffler for a little extra sound dampening. Something quick that can put on or be taken off with a hose clamp when I don't need it. I'm not worried about loss of power from restriction but I am worried about whether or not it would be ok on the motor. Anyone have any input on this one?
Molon Labe is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-18-2016, 11:17 PM   #2
BigShowDuramax
Getting Wild

Yamaha

Default Re: Slip on muffler for campground or hunting

I hope someone who knows answers, this would be a great idea.
BigShowDuramax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 07:43 AM   #3
TheNewGuy
Admin/Moderator

Yamaha

2 stroke engines require the proper amount of back pressure to run right. Adding a 2nd muffler will change the back pressure and may result in the engine running poorly.

TheNewGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 01:22 PM   #4
Molon Labe
Gone Wild

Yamaha

New guy you're right on that one. Didn't really think about how 2 strokes are tuned for certain back pressure. I'm still curious if there's something I can design that would have enough volume so it wouldn't mess with the back pressure too much but would be small enough to be practical. Is there a way to measure back pressure so I can determine a base line for a computer model?
Molon Labe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 04:12 PM   #5
TopherAndTick
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Line the inside of the body with sound dampening material?
Like the stuff you put under the carpet in your car rom Auto Zone or something. Has foil on one or both sides. And insulation in the middle.
TopherAndTick is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha