lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-27-2019, 04:23 PM   #21
Springbok
Photoshop Guy

Club Car

Default Re: 89 club car stops after 4 or 5 holes

Your cart engine needs only three things in order to fire:
  • Air.
  • Fuel.
  • Spark.
When the cart dies you need to find out which one of the three elements is not present. It sounds to me that it gets flooded out and then runs fine after the excess fuel drains off (dirty needle and seat)...-OR-...you have a failing ignition coil that cuts out when the engine temps are are up from normal running. The coil test procedure for that cart has been posted.
Springbok is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-31-2019, 02:08 PM   #22
don222
Not Yet Wild

Ignition coil is bad. I have ordered another one. Does anyone have instructions or a video showing how to replace. Thanks.
don222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019, 06:00 AM   #23
Springbok
Photoshop Guy

Club Car

Replacement is pretty simple. Disconnect battery. Pull the wire off the spark plug at one end, unhook the plug at the other, and remove the two bolts that bolt it to the motor. Swap in new coil.
Old 06-01-2019, 11:13 AM   #24
Land Owner
Gone Wild

Club Car

I'll throw in a vote for fouled fuel in carburetor bowl. I have had a similar issue with the cart starting, going great guns, then engine "coughing" and dying.
Quote:
Ethanol Causes Fuel Decay

...ethanol blended fuels cause gasoline to decay...decaying fuel leaves varnish and sludge deposits [in the] carburetor...
I pulled my carburetor and found gel gas globs in there that get sucked into the micro jets clogging them and starving the engine of fuel.

I recommend that you remove and replace both acorn filters in the fuel line. They are cheap and easy to do.

Then remove the carburetor and clean out any gunk in the bowl. That is also easy to do. Use a small wire to poke down into the jets to clear any gunk in there. Blow out with air.

Just take pictures of hoses, connections, and have a small can nearby to receive nuts and washers that have to be removed to get the carb. off. Takes at most 45 minutes to R&R the carburetor on a Saturday morning.

Need channel lock pliers to hold open the retainer spring to remove the air breather from the black box. Need needle nose pliers to loosen retainer clips on fuel lines. Need a 10mm open end wrench to loosen carb. retaining nuts.

Mine, a 2002 FE290 Kawasaki, has a couple of very small "star" channeled bolts that require removal. I don't know about yours. Pics below already have these removed: gas lines, air breather from black box, star channel nuts, plastic connector at front of carb.

Huh...these are old pictures from 2013. Today I notice that I have NO SPRING between the top post on the engine to the carburetor connecting link. go figure. Probably need to get me one of those...

Land Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 06:24 AM   #25
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

You don’t have a spring there, there shouldn’t be a spring there.
The throttle return spring goes towards the front of the engine under that metal bracket and hooks to a small hole on the front edge of the bracket. It should NOT go to that post.

That spring in that photo should NOT be there.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 11:37 AM   #26
Land Owner
Gone Wild

Club Car

Now that you mention it, my spring DOES go forward under the metal bracket and my Old Goat memory serves me wrong again. That was a picture of it in the WRONG place taken in 2013, when this board set me straight at that time and I THANK YOU for calling me on it again. I think I will LOSE that photo.
Old 06-03-2019, 07:43 AM   #27
Land Owner
Gone Wild

Club Car

I further want to recommend the replacement of ALL the fuel lines, the acron filters (as above), AND the vacuum pulse line to the fuel pump! These are CHEAP-CHEAP-CHEAP and easy to do...

...PLUS these are the source of micro-millimeter junk that get sucked into the carburetor that clogs the micro-jets. I would BET that MOST of the failure to run, failure to run smoothly, stoppage, and "coughing" issues in these engines is due to carburetor ingestion of that JUNK.

I just fixed mine TWICE and failed the first time to replace the pulse line to the fuel pump...that and no secondary acron filter to the carburetor from the fuel pump allowed that junk to get sucked in there. RUNS GREAT NOW!!!!!
Old 06-03-2019, 03:39 PM   #28
Springbok
Photoshop Guy

Club Car

The point about the ethanol in the fuel gumming up these old carbs is a good one. I've been lazy about this myself. There's a gas station nearby that sells non-ethanol fuel that I should be using in my carts rather than the standard 87 octane stuff.

It should be noted for those reading that the images posted by Land Owner of his cart's motor are not applicable to the original poster's 1989 Club Car. The 1984-1991 Club Cars had the KF82 flathead motor, and the images in post #24 are of an FE motor, likely an FE290 Kawasaki. That motor was used in gas Club Cars from 1992-up.
Old 06-13-2019, 09:13 AM   #29
don222
Not Yet Wild

I changed the fuel lines filter, pump, and carb and air filter. Son took it out last night. He was driving and it just died. Waited 2 minutes. Start/gen spinning and it fired and was good for 6 more holes and did the same thing. Died while driving. waited 2 min. and it fired up and was good for the rest of the round. New fuel this season. added seafoam.
new start/gen belt. battery was tested as well.

If it was the air vent from the gas cap. Then it would be starved of fuel and I shouldn't see much in the first fuel filter? correct?
don222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 09:35 AM   #30
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Have you checked to see if it has spark when it dies? Carry a spare spark plug with you. when it dies, unplug the wire and hook it to the spare spark plug and make sure the threads are touching a bolt or something on the valve cover and step on the pedal. you should see a steady, fat blue spark. if it's weak, yellow, or intermittent then you've got an ignition coil or ignitor going bad when it gets hot.
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car