lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-25-2010, 08:21 PM   #1
monkeyboy
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Default How well does a deep cell battery work for acc's

My cart used to be a sparky... but I've changed that. But I was wanting to run my accessories off of a deep cycle battery. I'm going to have LED tail lights, 2 55watt headlights, a 12" cooling fan that draws 13amps, and possibly a radio later down the road. Does this sound like too much of a load for a deep cycle battery? My atv charging circuit will actually be able to handle the lights. But I don't think it'll handle the fan. Is anyone abattery guru of sorts? And possibly know how to de-code the rate that the fan would drain a battery?
monkeyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-26-2010, 06:42 PM   #2
kdeerman
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: How well does a deep cell battery work for acc's

I'm not sure how fast the fan would run down the battery, but I do know that a lot of people use deep cycle batteries on golf carts for their accessories.

These batteries are used on trolling motors for hours sometimes, so if you get a good one it will probably be fine for the accessories you listed.
kdeerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 07:27 PM   #3
monkeyboy
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

The fan was my major concern. My motor is air cooled and the fan would almost always have to run all the time. To bad I can't figure a way to mount an alternator in there. The ATV is shaft drive. I read somewhere there was a mathmatical way of finding out amperage draw per/hour. But I can't remember where. Off to search wikipedia.....

Last edited by monkeyboy; 07-26-2010 at 07:27 PM.. Reason: spelling
Old 07-26-2010, 08:12 PM   #4
e-z-go1988
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyboy View Post
My cart used to be a sparky... but I've changed that. But I was wanting to run my accessories off of a deep cycle battery. I'm going to have LED tail lights, 2 55watt headlights, a 12" cooling fan that draws 13amps, and possibly a radio later down the road. Does this sound like too much of a load for a deep cycle battery? My atv charging circuit will actually be able to handle the lights. But I don't think it'll handle the fan. Is anyone abattery guru of sorts? And possibly know how to de-code the rate that the fan would drain a battery?
The 12in fan you are using was something you had on hand? What have you got in there for an engine, a V6? It seems to me that you could get by with much less air flow like use a small heater fan from an auto!
e-z-go1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 10:20 AM   #5
terry2shot
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyboy View Post
My cart used to be a sparky... but I've changed that.

Post some pics of the conversion. I'm curious
terry2shot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 01:11 PM   #6
galloway
Gone Wild

Club Car

Here is how you figure how long a battery will last.

You take the amp's drawn, in this case 13 amps and you take the ah of the battery. looks like a 12v trojan runs about 128 ah or something like that and most marine batteries run 90 to 100 ah.

now at max pull of 13 amps a battery should run the fan for 100 ah / 13 amps = 7.7 hrs. appox. But what this cute little formula doesn't tell you is at what percent the battery will be at after 7.7hrs. It says complete discharge. So if you are following the best way to keep a battery up and not let it drop below 50% discharge you might only get 4hrs of continuous running.

I hope this helps.

If you have two batteries in parallel you add the amp hours I believe.

Here is a cool website to show you discharge times and rates.
http://www.gizmology.net/batteries.htm

I hope this helps.
galloway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 04:29 PM   #7
monkeyboy
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

"terry2shot" I actually have a couple threads on it in the big-block section. but I'm always up for posting pic's... so I've attached a couple.

"galloway" that's what I was looking for. I'm pretty confident that I can replace the quad battery with the deep cycle and be alright. Even if it doesn't charge it fully. I just didn't want my fan to die after 2hrs of riding.
And I haven't bought a 12" fan yet. I'm going to put the biggest I can fit between the seat and the floorboard. At least as long as it doesn't drain too much juice. There's not much airflow under the seat. It got pretty hot 4th of july weekend.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IM000831.jpg (128.7 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg IM000833.jpg (106.7 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg IM000046.jpg (87.8 KB, 7 views)

Last edited by monkeyboy; 07-27-2010 at 04:33 PM.. Reason: add pics
Old 07-27-2010, 04:47 PM   #8
galloway
Gone Wild

Club Car

are you blowing air into the engine compartment or sucking it out of it?
galloway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 05:13 PM   #9
monkeyboy
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Blowing in from the front. The back half is the four-wheeler frame. So it's all open for air to flow out of. I thought about getting a reversible cooling fan(push/pull type) And wiring it so that if I can pull hot air out the front in the winter time to use as a heater. But I have to figure out how I'm going to enclose my sports rack to get that to work.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO