lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-17-2011, 02:42 PM   #1
jorton1970
Not Yet Wild

Default Ezgo Starter/ Generator Wiring

I have a 91 ezgo elec. cart I retroed. I put a 2000 gas rearend in it and a 13hp Vanguard engine in it. Since my 13horse didn't come with an elec. start , I used a starter/generator off a 2000 ezgo. I also used a common Ford sol. When wiring this up I did the following:
A-1~~~Ground
A-2~~~F1
F-1~~~A-2
F-2~~~Sol. (big post)
DF~~~Voltage Regulator / Green wire

When hooking the Voltage Regulator up I did the following:
Black~~~Ground
Green~~~DF (on starter/ generator)
Red~~~Sol. (big post) w/F-2

On the Sol. I did the following:
Post A~~~Batt.
Post B~~~F-2/Red wire from Voltage Reg.
Post S~~~Start Button
Post I~~~Blank

Am I missing something here ?
According to your schematic there should be a ground to one of the small post. Is this rite?
Maybe you can shine a light on something that I'm not seeing. Any info would be greatly appriciated, Thanks.
jorton1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-17-2011, 07:07 PM   #2
bonduranth
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Default Re: Ezgo Starter/ Generator Wiring

Your first error is using a Ford solenoid. A car solenoid will not work. The solenoid has to stay engaged for the starter to become a generator when the cart is running. A car solenoid will burn out the windings after about 2 hours. A golf cart solenoid is more expensive, but is designed to stay activated when the cart is running. Starting from the solenoid 1 wire from the small post goes to the following in this order. solenoid - accel limit switch - neutral limit switch - ign switch - fuse - battery + , the other small post should be grounded to a frame ground (solenoid mounting bolt). Check other posts for a wiring diagram.
bonduranth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 08:32 PM   #3
mannyvillegas
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Two things you should do:
1. Use a golf cart solenoid; and
2. The other wire coming from the solenoid which you labelled blank should be connected to ground.

Also, the battery negative should be well-grounded. EZGOs come with very good ground (bare) cable. Connect this to the negative pole of the battery.
mannyvillegas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 09:07 AM   #4
jorton1970
Not Yet Wild

I changed the Ford Sol. to a constant duty Sol. Also Found my major problem was that I had no switch to engage the Sol. So now I'm in the process of mounting an lever switch on the accelerator pedal to actuate the Sol. Thanks for help.
jorton1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO