lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-07-2017, 09:21 AM   #1
jk64
Not Yet Wild

Default Yamaha G-14 Carburetor Adjustments

Hello All,

So okay, I'm quite sure that this had probably been discussed at some point in the past, but so far I haven't found exactly what I'm looking for.

I have a 1995, Yamaha G-14 gas cart which began giving me running issues. Difficulty just getting going, backfiring, and low power.

I attempted doing some adjusting on the carburetor with no success. I found a super good deal on ebay for a brand new carburetor, so I ordered one. I figured what was in there had to be the original, so for the price I just replaced it. It was actually less expensive buying a new carburetor than what it would had been purchasing a gallon of that carburetor, (soak), cleaner sold at auto parts stores.

So anyway, bought, installed, and trying to get it adjusted properly, but not having much luck, and after several hours working on it.

I see basically two adjustments on the carburetor, the needle valve, and then one above the throttle body, which I guess opens and closes a flapper in the throttle body. I'm not a mechanic, so I don't know all the technical names and terms...

I found somewhere that all Yamaha gas carburetor adjustments were the same, but I have to question that. So anyway it said that one adjustment should be 1 1/2 turns, and the other, 1/4 turn. (Don't have the exact instructions pulled up as I write this...)

I did follow those instructions carefully, but it didn't work. I adjusted as little as a quarter turn beyond what the instructions stated, but still no luck.

I thought I had it at one point, the cart was running pretty good, and with some new surprised power. But I was getting some backfiring, and on occasion a total loss of power, so I knew it needed some even finer adjustments.

Took the cart out briefly Tuesday, and it like totally died. It just wouldn't get moving again. It was acting like I had the old carburetor in there. I had to give up working on it when the battery drained.

I got the battery charged up overnight and went out to work in it again Wednesday, but still no luck getting it adjusted properly. Worked on it again until the battery died. Got it close again, but still not exactly right.

I'm a disabled senior, and use my cart as my mobility scooter at times, so keeping it running good is important for me.

So any help, guides, written instructions, especially any that mentions adjustments in conjunction with the choke, with the engine being hot or cold, basically how 'exactly' this carburetor needs to be adjusted, (other than the trial and error method I've already been using), would greatly be appreciated!

Thanks!
jk64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-07-2017, 10:08 AM   #2
Spicyunicorn
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Default Re: Yamaha G-14 Carburetor Adjustments

If it was me i would clean the original carb and put that back on the Chinese carbs you get what you pay for and may people have had issues with them have you done the basics like new air filter new spark plug?
Spicyunicorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 08:54 PM   #3
jk64
Not Yet Wild

Yes, done all the testing before even changing the carb. Changing the carb was the last resort. Spark plug, fuel pump, fuel filter, air filter, even the stop safety switch. All were tested and found okay, or replaced.

It's a very simple design and part...Personally I can't see where a Chinese manufactured part, would be that far out of specifications that it would cause such problems.

In my many years I've seen some extremely good products come out of China, (as well as the bad), and I've also seen some real junk being manufactured here in the U.S., (as well as the good).
Old 12-08-2017, 10:28 AM   #4
Spicyunicorn
Gone Wild
Yamaha

A compression test may be in order
Spicyunicorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 11:19 AM   #5
jk64
Not Yet Wild

Okay... Please tell me more. How do I go about testing it? What do I need to do it? What am I looking for? How does the compression affect carburetor adjustments? Would I need to have the carburetor properly adjusted before doing that test?
Old 12-10-2017, 03:25 PM   #6
LimitedEdition
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Try replacing the 1. Manifold Gasket 2. Carburetor Joint Spacer and the 3. Carburetor Gasket. If you have a leak or crack in this area it could be why you are having a hard time keeping or getting the carburetor adjusted.

https://www.shopyamaha.com/parts-cat...-motor-company
LimitedEdition is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2021, 08:26 PM   #7
scout6969
Not Yet Wild

I am having the same issue with my cart. Would did you come up with for a fix?
scout6969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2021, 11:24 AM   #8
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

The carb spacer cracks very easily. I bought them 2 at a time when ordering for my G 14
raydhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha