lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas golf carts > Gas Columbia ParCar

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-08-2013, 09:32 AM   #1
leewomp
Not Yet Wild
Columbia

Default 87 parcar

I have recently overhauled my 87 parcar 4 wheeled cart (bored cylinder, new piston, crankcase bearings and seals). I'm now having trouble getting it to run properly. It acts like it is flooding and has no power. It just doesn't seem to want to wind up like it should. Have checked the float (23/32") and put a new inlet needle in the carburator. Also have played around with the idler needle and it doesn't seem to help at all. Checked the reed valve and it seems to be fine as well. One thing that I have noticed is when I run it on blocks without the air filter hooked up it seems to run a lot better. It's almost as if it's getting choked out when I do have it hooked up. I got a new air filter for it and I have the choke cable set properly and it is opening all the way. I am running out of ideas and am getting tired of pulling the carb off and putting it back on. Any help/ideas would be appreciated. Thanks
leewomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-10-2013, 10:37 AM   #2
tew45
Gone Wild

Harley Davidson

Default Re: 87 parcar

How does it run off the blocks and without the air filter? Did you put a complete kit in the carb? Timing could be off. There are many small "mickey mouse" problems that can cause poor performance. The low speed adjustment will have little effect on anything except idling and a little in the low speed area. Just set it as the manual recomends and forget it. A few more things that I have seen: timing off, broken rings (check compresion), piston in backwards, carb kit installed wrong. Just relax, take a deep breath, drink a beer if you do, then start over and check every step. Good Luck!
tew45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 01:52 PM   #3
leewomp
Not Yet Wild
Columbia

Thanks for the response tew. I haven't checked the timing mainly because I don't understand the manual's terms. Where is the forward down position on the crankshaft? Just before TDC or after? There doesn't seem to be any timing marks that I can see either. No, I haven't put in a carb kit. Just ordered one because I needed the bowl gaskets and figured that inlet needle was easy enough to install so I put it in. I kind of want to eliminate everything else before I have someone redo the rest of it. Rings and piston are good as well.

Another thing I forgot to mention is after I drove it around for a couple minutes it would completely die like it wasn't even getting a spark anymore. After it did that then it would only run for a couple seconds after I pushed on the accelerator and then it would quit again. As soon as you let off and pushed it back in it would do the same thing. I drove it all the way back to the shop like that and pulled the plug to see if it was sparking and everything seemed to be fine. First thing I'm going to try is a new wire because the one I have has been taped up. After that would the next thing be the coil?

As far as the beer goes... It will be interesting to see what happens first... A round of golf on my cart or liver failure...

Thanks again
Lee
leewomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 08:33 PM   #4
tew45
Gone Wild

Harley Davidson

Check your accelerator switch. I have seen some that are intermittent before they quit altogether!
tew45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 05:02 AM   #5
flroyaltyjr
Not Yet Wild
Taylor-Dunn

Smile Re: 87 parcar

I had the same problem with one running and stopping. after hours of pulling my hair out and a lot of beers:) I discovered someone had repaired a broken wire and when I untaped that mess found that it was unhooked together and just arcing thru the joint. replaced the wire doing away with the bad joint and now runs great.
flroyaltyjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas golf carts > Gas Columbia ParCar