lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-03-2015, 09:05 AM   #1
scb71
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default Slight squealing after new belts

I replaced my drive belt and starter belt this weekend on my 2002 DS and now have a slight squealing sound when driving. It is not awful like a loud whistle but it is annoying and was not there before.

I manhandled the belts off and on as I did not have ready access to the rear panel due to a rear facing seat and utility bed on the back. With that said, that is what many have said to do anyhow but it was not as easy as I thought it would be. I used a screw driver to lift up and get the belt over the edge and then rotated it off. Perhaps there is a better/easier way.

I tried to adjust the starter tension but it is very tight already. When I tried to loosen it I could loosen the adjustment bolt in the rear but could not get the two front mount bolts to budge - I did get one to rotate but had a hard time getting both wrenches on and breaking the bolts free. There was not enough leverage room by accessing from under the seat or underneath the cart. Since it was already very tight I left well enough alone.

Now I have two brand new belts on the cart. The starter belt is a Stens brand and the drive belt is a Dayco HP2007 - which has the ridges and was supposed to be longer lasting and high performance whatever that means.

Any ideas on how to reduce the noise? Will they "break in" perhaps?

thanks
scb71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-08-2015, 11:37 AM   #2
scb71
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default Re: Slight squealing after new belts

Bump
Lots of views with no replies. Would think this would be something easy for you experienced guys to assist with. Hoping it was just passed over.
Appreciate your help!
Old 03-08-2015, 12:08 PM   #3
lockman1
What the ....?

Club Car

I saw your post, and didn't reply because I don't know about the aftermarket belts that your talking about!
They "may" need breaking in... but most belts I've seen won't squeak if they're brand new!
Question... have you put your cart in "Maintenance Mode" to maybe view and isolate which belt may be squeaking?
lockman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 08:08 AM   #4
scb71
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

I have not been able to isolate which belt or where the noise is coming from exactly. Don't have a stethoscope but I will be at the house where I keep the cart all next week. If you can share some ideas I'll try to make sure I have what I need when I get there.
I guess I could remove the drive belt and see if it stops. I could put the old drive belt on again for that matter if it stops the noise.
I will say that there is probably a better method than what I did to remove them. Any Pro tips?
thanks for the feedback/input/help.
Old 03-09-2015, 10:09 AM   #5
pleighdammet
Professional jerry rigger

Club Car

tight enough? maybe just a touch of belt dressing spray or TAKE THE BELT OFF and scuff the sides with some sand paper?
pleighdammet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 12:17 PM   #6
scb71
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Thanks.
Scuff what with sand paper exactly?
If the belt itself it seems like that could be done installed but let me know please.
They are new belts but the noise is annoying.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car