lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-21-2016, 07:24 AM   #1
cremator
Not Yet Wild

Default A few G2 questions, related to wiring and rewiring

Got a G2 gas golf cart from my grandpa, and starter went bad on it. Got that rebuilt and all was working fine for a few rides, but then I noticed the battery (brand new) and starter/generator were super hot, so I parked it. Starter was smoking some..but didnt catch fire luckily. Long story short, the cart has horrible wiring which I'm planning on redoing myself, and yes I have the wiring diagram. But the diagram leaves out the frame grounding strap..and for whatever reason on the cart I have its wired like such. Batterys negative post goes to starter generator, frame ground wire goes to same wire on starter generator, then a 3rd wire (according to the diagram goes to an inline fuse) are all wire nutted together. Is the frame grounding location a bad idea or is it nothing to worry about and I just replace old corroded wires? Thanks in advance..
cremator is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-21-2016, 09:34 PM   #2
GolfCartGuru
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: A few G2 questions, related to wiring and rewiring

Frame Ground is a perfect referance ground everything should be grounded to the frame. When doing so, make sure to grind any paint or rust. when grounding something to the frame, this will ensure a proper ground.
GolfCartGuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 08:51 AM   #3
smallblock450sl
Sometime's............

Yamaha

G2's have "NO" ground to frame. G9's "DO" have a ground to frame.
smallblock450sl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 04:16 PM   #4
DakotaEight
Getting Wild

Yamaha

Where would i connect both ends of that ground to the frame? One on the frame of course but where will the other end connect to? My 93 G9a says it goes to the starter or starter relay.
DakotaEight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 05:10 PM   #5
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

My G9 did not have a frame ground, I had to add one to run lights in front that ground through the bolt into the frame. They do ground the cradle the engine is on I think, but you will blow fuses if you ground something to frame without putting a ground on the battery to frame. The cart (yamaha) has no reason to ground the frame unless the start solenoid runs off it. IIRC that is the only electrical part on the frame. I'll go out and look in a little bit.

They are known for wiring issues, no doubt about that.

I don't see any ground. The ground goes to the lower gen terminal and two small wires go off it. One goes back to the VR area the other I think to the small start solenoid terminal. Hard to say it goes inside the loom. I see no ground wire on the frame or cradle. The ignition is unplugged on my cart for the clone, but all the wiring is there.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha