lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha
Electric Yamaha Electric Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-14-2017, 02:29 PM   #1
cssnms
Getting Wild

Question Considering 2008 Yamaha Drive, looking for feedback...

Hi there new to the forum and new to buying a golf cart. I have spent a few hours reading this forum trying to glean as much as I can.

I am considering buying a used cart locally (see ad below). The batteries are 2015 vintage, has front and back LED lights, seats 4 people and are stock otherwise.

I have a few questions as it relates to this model and I am hoping more experienced members here can assist.

1) Based on my due diligence, the asking price seems really fair. What says the community?

2) I have read about checking the "tag" to ensure it is not white, but I also understand white tags were found on earlier MY's. Is this correct?

3) I have also read that buying a controller can increase the top speed. Is there a recommended for this particular cart? The Alltrax brands seems to come highly recommended.

4) Is there anything else I should look for? I assume this seller bought them on the cheap from a golf course or something like that. From the pictures they appear to be in very good shape.

For Sale Ad

I have 5 of these for sale
2008 Yamaha electric golf cart
Newer 48V batteries
LED headlights and taillights
rear seat that flips down
Comes with chargers, They have zero issues, run great.

$2700 each or can make a deal if you buy more then 1

Thanks for the help and insight.
cssnms is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-14-2017, 02:51 PM   #2
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Default Re: Considering 2008 Yamaha Drive, looking for feedback...

1- price varies so much, you will have to see what they go for in your area (check local shops, Craiglist)

2- '07 was first year for Drive, this '08 Could have "white tag", better check.

3- Alltrax

4- step on brakes & listen for squeel just as vehicle reaches a stop, brake replacement is quite expensive.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 02:59 PM   #3
cssnms
Getting Wild

Thank you for the reply, I will be sure to check the tag.

After shopping the internet to include locally the price seems really good if they prove to be as in good condition both physically and mechanically as they appear in the pictures.

Regarding the controller, is there a particular model Alltrax I should be looking at?

Great suggestion on the brakes, I will def do that. Assuming these carts were in service at a golf course somewhere, how long would brakes be expected to last assuming they are original? And for future reference what would an indy shop charge to replace the brakes - also are they disc or drum?
Old 09-14-2017, 03:32 PM   #4
cssnms
Getting Wild

I should also add that I don't have a Yamaha Cart dealer anywhere near me, but there are some indy shops.

It appears the brakes on Yamaha carts are internal in the transaxle, at least in the rear? Is there any reason why I shouldn't consider an older Yamaha cart for these reasons?
Old 09-14-2017, 03:58 PM   #5
bird6246
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

NO, Yamaha has brake shoes like the other carts. dealer isn't super important, most of the parts "advice/help" you will get from sights like this. To me the cart sounds like a good deal. Alltrax is probably the most popular controller, and are great.
bird6246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 06:26 PM   #6
cssnms
Getting Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by bird6246 View Post
NO, Yamaha has brake shoes like the other carts. dealer isn't super important, most of the parts "advice/help" you will get from sights like this. To me the cart sounds like a good deal. Alltrax is probably the most popular controller, and are great.
Thank you for the reply.

So to clarify the brakes or rear brakes are not located inside of the transaxle? I was reading another Yamaha thread which indicated they were and they were **** difficult and expensive to replace, to the point where owners were just buying new axles with new internals. But then again maybe I was reading about the wrong model Yamaha? LOL

Is there a specific Alltrax controller model I should be looking at?

I was also considering 12" wheels and tires which apparently can be installed without a lift - I will lift it some later. I also read that bigger wheels will also help with top speed too?
Old 09-15-2017, 04:34 AM   #7
cgtech

Yamaha

All earlier "Drives" have internal brakes, like that '08 does. Not regular "50 dollar brake job" stuff, don't believe otherwise. And I would be wary of having any "Indy" shop do that job (ask them what gear oil it takes & why it needs that, it might give you an idea if they even know what it is). We actually do often suggest just doing a whole axle, because by the time the labor & parts is all done with, it's only about $150 more for a whole new axle with every single part new (around $1000). I have done both ways, and am yamaha factory trained. Sorry bird, your way off on this one. For controller, go with Alltrax XCT48400-YDRE and cable upgrades for torque and speed boost, or XCT48300-YDRE for speed boost and no other upgrades required.
Old 09-15-2017, 09:57 AM   #8
cgtech

Yamaha

24, 25, 26, 27 are your brake parts.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot_20170915-075617.jpg (42.7 KB, 0 views)
Old 09-15-2017, 04:36 PM   #9
cssnms
Getting Wild

Wow thank you cgtech!

So more-or-less a $1k when the brakes go! YIKES Being that it is an 08 and not having service history, would it be safe to assume this cart will need brakes in the not too distant future, again assuming commercial golf course use? That's 9 yrs assuming the brakes haven't been replaced! Maybe that's why the golf course got rid of them?!
Old 09-15-2017, 09:54 PM   #10
Dan33Klein
Getting Wild

Mine is an 07, used on a course since new and the brakes are fantastic. Looked like new when I took the rear end apart. Maybe they or the axle were changed at some time though. They should last a very long time being multi disk wet.
Dan33Klein is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha