lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-15-2019, 05:29 PM   #21
trig123
Vintage tech
E-Z-GO

Default Re: G2 - Blue smoke - Out of ideas

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisr32 View Post
Anyone who thinks they can do a quality rebuild with any engine "The rings,rod bearings,side cover and head gaskets come to $73. Add a torque wrench and clutch puller and maybe you are just over $100." is sadly mistaken. This assumes the bore is straight, not tapered, rods and crank do not need to be re-sized and they just happen to have a dial bore gauge, valve grinder, feeler gauges, ridge groove remover, veneer caliper, dial indicator, ring compressor, valve seat grinder, tool to install new guides, and micrometers at their house - just saying, that not all motor rebuilds are that easy or cheap...and a little thinking out of the box goes a long way.
I totally agree.
trig123 is online now   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-15-2019, 05:44 PM   #22
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

I actually did do it. The oil control rings on my G 14 were bad which is very common on the G2-14 engine. My compression reading was 152 dry and 175 wet. When I tore the engine down the cylinder/piston clearance was beyond max spec. It would burn 1/2 quart of oil in 2 miles leaving an incredible trail of blue smoke behind it. I did EXACTLY what I recommended and drove the cart another 350 hours before I started to see wisps of blue smoke again. There are pics of my second G14 tear down after the 350 hours with my thread in the gas yamaha section at which point I went VC 460 and parted out and sold my G14 parts for $950. I still have the piston here if you want a pic of it.
raydhd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 07:03 PM   #23
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisr32 View Post
Anyone who thinks they can do a quality rebuild with any engine "The rings,rod bearings,side cover and head gaskets come to $73. Add a torque wrench and clutch puller and maybe you are just over $100." is sadly mistaken. This assumes the bore is straight, not tapered, rods and crank do not need to be re-sized and they just happen to have a dial bore gauge, valve grinder, feeler gauges, ridge groove remover, veneer caliper, dial indicator, ring compressor, valve seat grinder, tool to install new guides, and micrometers at their house - just saying, that not all motor rebuilds are that easy or cheap...and a little thinking out of the box goes a long way.
Let's not turn this into an argument here... i agree... to an extent. But... at this point it really doesnt matter, hes already said he isnt comfortable doing the work.

At this point, theres really only 2 options, because the snake oil is not going to fix the smoke.

1. Call don plowman and discuss with him, I'd expect $1300ish for a rebuild, but know it is done right and probably better than it ever was from the factory. If I were having an engine rebuilt he is the only one I would trust doing a full rebuild like that.

2. Vegas carts swap.

Not many other options available. If it were mine, ran good, 150+ compression, I'd do as ray said. But if it only lasts a year or two I dont mind doing the work again, it's not hard to pull the engine and do the work. Actually that's what I did do and it still runs great. But if someone isnt comfortable doing it themselves, a local machine shop will charge as much as plowmans and not do nearly the quality of work.

Just my .02
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 07:26 PM   #24
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

The only down side there is you are going to need Aaron or Don to pull the old engine out and install whatever one you buy.
Old 05-16-2019, 05:50 AM   #25
TheNewGuy
Admin/Moderator

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by CP241 View Post
Let's not turn this into an argument here... i agree... to an extent. But... at this point it really doesnt matter, hes already said he isnt comfortable doing the work.

At this point, theres really only 2 options, because the snake oil is not going to fix the smoke.

1. Call don plowman and discuss with him, I'd expect $1300ish for a rebuild, but know it is done right and probably better than it ever was from the factory. If I were having an engine rebuilt he is the only one I would trust doing a full rebuild like that.

2. Vegas carts swap.

Not many other options available. If it were mine, ran good, 150+ compression, I'd do as ray said. But if it only lasts a year or two I dont mind doing the work again, it's not hard to pull the engine and do the work. Actually that's what I did do and it still runs great. But if someone isnt comfortable doing it themselves, a local machine shop will charge as much as plowmans and not do nearly the quality of work.

Just my .02
Only other option I know of is Cart Parts Plus...install a vanguard v-twin. You may need seat belts with this option!

TheNewGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 08:40 AM   #26
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNewGuy View Post
Only other option I know of is Cart Parts Plus...install a vanguard v-twin. You may need seat belts with this option!
Better yet maybe Ron will take the old one out and put the vanguard in for you.
Old 05-16-2019, 09:32 AM   #27
TheNewGuy
Admin/Moderator

Yamaha

I've done many!! Got to have some cash.

Old 05-16-2019, 03:20 PM   #28
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by raydhd View Post
Anybody that thinks some snake oil is going to fix a worn engine is really kidding themselves.
Ray, when did I ever say snake oil would fix a worn engine? Everyone knows that snakes don't make oil anyway.

And just so everyone knows, I don't come here to compare funnels. I come here to help people with their golf cart questions. Let's stick to that Ray.

I don't require anyone to take my suggestions, but I would never suggest anything that will ruin an engine, and I would never suggest anything that I haven't done with success. Will "snake oil" rebuild an engine? Nope. Could it help. Yep. That is all men. Carry on.
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 03:29 PM   #29
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNewGuy View Post
I've done many!! Got to have some cash.
I enjoy working on them when they are on the bench. Not so fond of pulling them out and putting them back in.
Old 05-17-2019, 05:30 AM   #30
TheNewGuy
Admin/Moderator

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by raydhd View Post
I enjoy working on them when they are on the bench. Not so fond of pulling them out and putting them back in.

I agree, that's why I like vanguards, install them and you are done!!!! Many years of worry free service. Just change the oil and FILTER, maybe some new plugs once in a while and some fuel, that is it.

Engines on the bench aren't going anywhere!! LOL!! I enjoy cruising my carts around!

Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha