lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-11-2019, 12:56 PM   #1
Bcolwell
Not Yet Wild

Default Yamaha G1 ignition power

I am looking to operate an accessory and i would like the power to be switched off when the ignition is turned off. This is yamaha G1.
Can someone help me identify the correct wire?
Bcolwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-11-2019, 05:59 PM   #2
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Default Re: Yamaha G1 ignition power

Use a volt meter and find a wire that comes off the ignition switch. You'll want 12v when the key is on.

Sometimes on the G1 it doesn't work out because of how the switch is wired for forward and reverse. Everytime you change direction your power will be interrupted. Also, I've heard that the voltage supply can be irregular.

What accessory are you running?
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 08:12 AM   #3
Bcolwell
Not Yet Wild

Yes the voltage varies, 13v up to 16v, not of concern for this application. i have put signal lights, horn on this beast, and am powering them straight from the battery. Would like to have them turn off when i kill the main switch, so as to not accidentally forget and leave them on.

Looking for a wire with switched power in the engine compartment.
Yeah I guess any wire in the engine compartment which has 12v when the main switch is turned on and no 12v when the main switch is turned off is an eligible candidate. Reagrds
Boyde
Old 05-13-2019, 07:01 AM   #4
Lochlin
Gone Wild

Assuming your cart has the factory harness the white wire is the one you want. You should be able to splice into it at the relay above the passenger rear tire.
Lochlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 11:20 AM   #5
Bcolwell
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for the info. I tried to get power off the white wire, nothing there with switch on or off.

The white wire comes off the Stop switch before going into the main switch. I am assuming the Stop switch has to be closed (or open) for power to travel to the Main switch. I would like power when the main switch is on, and the gas pedal not depressed.
In reverse the backup buzzer gets power without the pedal being depressed.
Any help will be appreciated.
Boyde
Old 05-14-2019, 11:01 AM   #6
Lochlin
Gone Wild

I misinterpreted your needs. Indeed, the white wire will only power with the key on and pedal depressed.

We come across this request all of the time with older HD / Columbia carts and, unfortunately, short of getting a different style of switch in there an accessory can't be added to F as the switch doesn't allow it. In F and when the pedal is not depressed the entire cart has no power. This isn't an issue in R as the buzzer gets power. I don't believe that there is any way to transfer that to F, though as the switch itself breaks the circuit.
Lochlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 03:46 PM   #7
Bcolwell
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for confirming that i am up the creek. I have not given up yet, just do not know how yet, will have to think out side the box.
Boyde
Old 05-15-2019, 03:04 AM   #8
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Yep, I haven't found a way for that either. I guess those were problems that Yamaha golfing engineers from the '70s just never thought we would ever need to play 36 holes of golf in the daytime. (Adding headlights and stuff). But at least they were kind enough to include factory installed ashtrays on some Sun classics.

Lol, at the local aircraft museum, a helicopter trainer had a chrome ashtray factory installed (and in a way that I bet the actual helicopter had it too).
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 04:24 PM   #9
Bcolwell
Not Yet Wild

So far my only solution is to install a master switch, turn the switch off and nothing will work, not even the main switch, forward or reverse.

I am still thinking.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha