lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-09-2020, 05:39 AM   #1
MauiMarcus
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Default 2004 DS IQ - suddenly stopped working no solenoid click

Purchased this 48v 2004 DS IQ a month ago. Have spent this quarantine working on it. Purchased 6 new interstate batteries 4/1/20. Purchased and installed myself an Admiral A4, XCT500IQ, MZJ400A solenoid and 2g wires from Scotty at Carts Unlimited 4/23/20. Carts been running like a champ for 10 days.

Today, after a 15 min ride in my hilly neighborhood I pulled into my driveway and stopped. When I went to move it into the carport, it would not move forward or backwards. Buzzer comes on in reverse and also buzzes when I push it, but no movement or power when I press the accelerator. Cart only makes slight jerky movements both forward and backwards- like a wire is loose or something.

After doing this for a few minutes I realize the solenoid was not clicking when I step on the accelerator - which it used to do loudly for the last 10 days. So the solenoid does not seem to be engaging.

In dash voltmeter shows 51.8v. I did not (yet) remove the back seat and access cover (it's nighttime here). I did look at the motor, speed controller and solenoid through the passenger wheelwell and all wires appear to be connected and nothing was overly hot. The controller's fan would come on for a second when I flip the run/tow switch.

I am a newbie with no golf cart experience, but I have time, am a tinkerer and with this forum and youtube I was able to do all of the current mods myself.

I can send photos, etc., any help would be greatly appreciated. FYI I also emailed Scotty (who is always super responsive), but its the weekend and I'd like to fix it so I can drive it again ASAP.

thanks from Maui,

Marcus
MauiMarcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-09-2020, 05:49 AM   #2
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

Default Re: 2004 DS IQ - suddenly stopped working no solenoid click

Best thing to do right now is get a diagram of your wiring and trace the activation circuit for your solenoid.

But it sounds to me like your solenoid has failed.
Mooncarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2020, 05:53 AM   #3
MauiMarcus
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

It worked fine for 10 days, and I sent photos to Scotty while installing. It seems something has failed. I am researching how to troubleshoot the accelerator pedal assembly and microswitches.

I read your build thread...very cool!
Old 05-09-2020, 05:58 AM   #4
MauiMarcus
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

I just went outside to turn off the garage light (it’s 1am here) and I decided to try to move the Cart to see if it miraculously fixed itself...

...and it did! Was able to park it. Still want to fix the issue- I don’t want to get stuck miles from home.

So now the problem is intermittent.
Old 05-09-2020, 07:21 AM   #5
skippyjasper
Not Yet Wild

Sounds like the solenoid is running too hot. It worked after cooling down. Is it properly sized for your system?
Might be worth the time to check the connections. Can you access the contacts and check for arcing/deposits?

Skippy

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
skippyjasper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2020, 07:25 AM   #6
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by MauiMarcus View Post
It worked fine for 10 days, and I sent photos to Scotty while installing. It seems something has failed. I am researching how to troubleshoot the accelerator pedal assembly and microswitches.

I read your build thread...very cool!
Thank you. It was a fun challenge.
Mooncarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2020, 01:22 PM   #7
MauiMarcus
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Mornin Skippy

The solenoid is brand new and purchased as a “kit” from Carts Unlimited 3 weeks ago. It should be appropriately sized: Admiral A4 motor, Altres XTC500IQ controller, MZJ400A solenoid.

I’ll be looking closer today- but a quick investigation last night showed all connections good and nothing under there was hot at all...

Thanks for reading/helping!
Old 05-09-2020, 10:42 PM   #8
Hkspwrsche
Gone Wild

Club Car

Exclamation Re: 2004 DS IQ - suddenly stopped working no solenoid click

Quote:
Originally Posted by MauiMarcus View Post
Purchased this 48v 2004 DS IQ a month ago. Have spent this quarantine working on it. Purchased 6 new interstate batteries 4/1/20. Purchased and installed myself an Admiral A4, XCT500IQ, MZJ400A solenoid and 2g wires from Scotty at Carts Unlimited 4/23/20. Carts been running like a champ for 10 days.

Today, after a 15 min ride in my hilly neighborhood I pulled into my driveway and stopped. When I went to move it into the carport, it would not move forward or backwards. Buzzer comes on in reverse and also buzzes when I push it, but no movement or power when I press the accelerator. Cart only makes slight jerky movements both forward and backwards- like a wire is loose or something.
Mcor? Is yours original? Mine was doing that jerky movement randomly. A week after I got it is when it happened the first time when my wife took it out with my daughter. Then it did it again with me and started happening about every other ride. Mine was original and getting worse. I did the mcor4 upgrade and it’s 100% now. Smooth and works fine.

As a coincidence, I’ve had my 04 DS IQ about a month and I would guess the seller thought something expensive was going bad and that was some of the motivation to move it on.
Hkspwrsche is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car