lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-05-2021, 09:22 PM   #1
Beanbo92
Not Yet Wild

Default Heard a pop now not accelerating.

I have a 95 ezgo txt I pickup up from a buddy not to long ago.
I adjusted the valves to specs, changed the oil, cleaned the carb and threw in a new air filter and battery. She has been running fine for at least 4 months with every other day use. Tonight we were riding and I heard a pop that what I believe came from the engine and after that it went from great acceleration to about half of what it had. Could hardly make it up a hill to get it back home. Linkage and all seems fine. Engine or possibly a clutch problem?
Beanbo92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-05-2021, 09:33 PM   #2
sthreatt
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Heard a pop now not accelerating.

Check the compression and see if you're still running on both cylinders.
sthreatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2021, 09:49 PM   #3
Beanbo92
Not Yet Wild

Ok been wanting to do a check so I'ma grab a gauge set and watch some videos and get back with some answers.
Old 07-06-2021, 07:06 AM   #4
JPonLKN
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I think first, I would just pull out both spark plugs, and roll the drive clutch by hand, look into the cylinders through the spark plug hole, and you will see if both pistons are moving. I suspect you dropped a connecting rod bolt, or broke a rod. If that is the case, one piston won't be moving.
JPonLKN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2021, 11:58 AM   #5
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPonLKN View Post
I think first, I would just pull out both spark plugs, and roll the drive clutch by hand, look into the cylinders through the spark plug hole, and you will see if both pistons are moving. I suspect you dropped a connecting rod bolt, or broke a rod. If that is the case, one piston won't be moving.
Kinda unsettling how common that is…
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2021, 01:32 PM   #6
trig123
Vintage tech
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by CP241 View Post
Kinda unsettling how common that is…
It was not common at the golf course I worked at. Once they leave they get lifted, governor spring crushed and run harder than the 12 mph they were designed to run.

Only had one 295 to break a rod bolt in 15 years and it was my bosses cart. He never checked the oil. The rod bolt on the drive clutch side broke . I got three engines here now and the same one always breaks.

We had 56 ezgo's all with robbin engines, both pre mci and mci. I retired a few years after the Kawasaki replaced these gems.

I think it is user error but that is just me.
trig123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2021, 01:42 PM   #7
sthreatt
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by trig123 View Post
I agree. Keep the oil changed and treat em decent and they'll run forever. they weren't designed to be Gators or Mules.
sthreatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2021, 04:55 PM   #8
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by trig123 View Post
It was not common at the golf course I worked at. Once they leave they get lifted, governor spring crushed and run harder than the 12 mph they were designed to run.

Only had one 295 to break a rod bolt in 15 years and it was my bosses cart. He never checked the oil. The rod bolt on the drive clutch side broke . I got three engines here now and the same one always breaks.

We had 56 ezgo's all with robbin engines, both pre mci and mci. I retired a few years after the Kawasaki replaced these gems.

Not saying the rod bolt breaks. But I’ve had several that were smoking or leaked oil. And the rod cap bolts were only finger tight. No idea why it happens. Had one that was knocking, all I did was tighten the cap bolts and it was fine. Even one I got that was a city owned cart, stock everything including governor. Usually seems to be the clutch side bolt, I just don’t quite get why they loosen themselves up.
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2021, 01:38 AM   #9
Cartmaster
British born Nincompoop

E-Z-GO

As Trig says, i think it is down to over revving the engines past governed speeds. With no big end bearings, a little wear can allow movement on the crank and they work loose. I too have never seen it happen on a well maintained engine that has not had the governor tampered with.
Cartmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2021, 11:04 AM   #10
Beanbo92
Not Yet Wild

Sorry for the late response, checked compression 175 on the fan side and 0 on the clutch side. Only one piston is moving, clutch side is not. So is this a total rebuild or just a year down to see if the connecting rod bolt is lose or broken?
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO