lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-11-2021, 11:30 AM   #1
reddoggy15
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Ezgo St Workhorse burned up two fuel pumps

I just acquired a 2002 Ezgo Workhorse ST 350 (gas) in rough shape. This is our new project to fix up.
I cleaned it up, put a new battery, put in a new carburetor in, a new 12v fuel pump from Amazon, and it started right up, ran like a champ with full power for five minutes zipping around yard and then died. I checked engine fuel was super hot and burnt up, it was not pumping any fuel anymore. So I thought it was a bad fuel pump. I invested in a more expensive fuel pump and it worked......for five minutes like a champ and died. It burn up too. I checked it before putting it in and it was pumping before going on test ride. I bought a new regulator and am cleaning up all the wiring. I have new fuel pump but is there any thing else that I should be checking first before burning up another fuel pump?
reddoggy15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-11-2021, 12:06 PM   #2
trig123
Vintage tech
E-Z-GO

Default Re: Ezgo St Workhorse burned up two fuel pumps

Don't install a 12 volt fuel pump on one of these golf carts.
Don't install the cheap carburetors.
If the pulse fuel pump don't work find out why.
trig123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2021, 12:45 PM   #3
reddoggy15
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

I am new to the golf cart rebuild world. I have plenty of experience rebuilding ATV and last year a John Deere tractor.
I do not understand your comment on "Do not put install a 12 volt fuel pump in one of these golf carts". That is what it came with one when I bought it. So I bought a 12 volt to replaced it. What do you suggest I replace it with?
Old 07-11-2021, 01:09 PM   #4
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

I have used Briggs & Stratton pumps in the past. Should be a pulse hose fitting on the front of the motor below the carburetor
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 02DA32EA-949D-47C8-BD47-E067F1CB2EF0.jpeg (14.3 KB, 0 views)
kgsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2021, 01:12 PM   #5
trig123
Vintage tech
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddoggy15 View Post
I am new to the golf cart rebuild world. I have plenty of experience rebuilding ATV and last year a John Deere tractor.
I do not understand your comment on "Do not put install a 12 volt fuel pump in one of these golf carts". That is what it came with one when I bought it. So I bought a 12 volt to replaced it. What do you suggest I replace it with?
That's not what came on these carts from the factory.

If these engines don't start with the original fuel pump then my bet your compression is not good, at least that is what I run into when people can't get these pulse pumps to work.

We are talking about the ezgo with Robbin engine in it ?

Remove the valve cover and snap a picture of where you adjust your valves. My bet is the intake valves are worn out. Could need adjusting but that picture will tell us.

Here is the pump that needs to be on this cart or one like kgsc showed.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ezgo fuel pump.jpg (99.2 KB, 0 views)
trig123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2021, 01:31 PM   #6
reddoggy15
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Yes, it is Robbin engine EH35C. Looks like former owner removed the original fuel pump and put in a electric 12v pump. I have it running again and the volts go up to 14.5 when on gas. Wonder if that is too much and thats why it is burning them up. I am trying a few things now.
Old 07-12-2021, 04:35 PM   #7
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Not saying you can't use a 12v fuel pump, but the carbs on these were not meant to be used with one and it could cause issues. Also, fuel supply to the pump should not come off the pedal, I'd wire it to the "on" position of the key switch and run a return line back to the tank, if not like that already. Yes 14.5 volts is too much for that pump, but that shouldn't cause it to burn up. Now 15 or 16 volts? Maybe.

The vacuum pulse fuel pumps work great on these engines, not sure why someone switched it over, but if it were me I'd go back to stock and not worry about the electric pump. I second the use of a Briggs and Stratton pump, they are the best IMO.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg fuel pump.jpeg (110.3 KB, 0 views)
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
#ezgo, #fuelpump, #workhorse
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO