lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-14-2021, 09:36 AM   #1
farnzens1
Not Yet Wild

Default radio cuts out on ezgo gas engine

Have an electrical problem with my 1983 ezgo gas engine. Recently installed an AM/FM Bluetooth stereo and have it hooked correctly. Works fine with key on but as soon as you press gas pedal to start engine it kicks stereo out and will not allow stereo to play while engine is running. Guy who owned golf cart before me had an stereo in it and he says it worked fine. I connected stereo to its own battery power and it does the same thing. Is the generator/starter causing interference with stereo?
farnzens1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-14-2021, 10:09 AM   #2
Ryokuro
Getting Wild
Yamaha

Default Re: radio cuts out on ezgo gas engine

I want to say it's possible. But there are definitely ways to make it work.

I'm more familiar with audio related stuff on cars, where most modern vehicles have some kind of "interference capacitor" to soak up electrical noise from alternators and ignition systems. I have an older 2001 Honda Accord as a beater car, and with one of those bluetooth transmitters in the power outlet, the faster you go, the louder the whining noise gets through the speakers from it. Almost makes it sound like it has a supercharger!
Ryokuro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2021, 08:46 AM   #3
farnzens1
Not Yet Wild

Mine cuts the radio out completely. radio doesn't seem to turn off but the speakers shutdown completely. i have to turn ignition switch off and turn ignition switch back on for speakers to turn back on.
farnzens1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2021, 11:36 AM   #4
Dabble Inn
Nincompoop Club Member

E-Z-GO

My 85 did the same thing, my final conclusion was 'over voltage'. The starter/gen will produce up to 15.5 volts, perhaps some kind of voltage regulator in the stereo power wire would cure it..... I eventually took mine out and now just use a bluetooth speaker from phone music
Dabble Inn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2021, 01:38 PM   #5
cart around
Test before replacing

E-Z-GO

I went back 26 pages, and couldn't find the thread that I was looking for.

Somebody else was having this problem (It seems to be common), and they fixed it with a voltage reducer. There was a link, but I'm not finding it.

I think it was on Amazon, and similar to this.

DC/DC Converter Regulator Reducer 24V Step Down to 12V 10A 120W Golf Cart Waterproof Voltage Convert Power SupplyTransformer Volt Module
cart around is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO