lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-03-2011, 10:04 PM   #1
reinman88
Gone Wild

Default Tires and rims

I've got a couple gas CCs I'm looking at buying, one an 87 and one a 91.

I've been told I can go up to 12 inch rims without having to lift the cart. Haven't dealt with tires or rims of this size before, aside from a 12 inch trailer tire and rim, which I assume is nothing like the 12 inch I'd need for a cart.

Can someone tell me what size, I should be looking for. I did see an ad for some tires and rims, but I'm not sure if any of this stuff is usable for a cart.

Thanks for any help.

(3) Dunlop KT846 tires..........AT 21x7-10........1/2" <---------BRAND NEW
(4) Goodyear MudRunner.....AT 25x8-12........7/8" with 12x6 rims
(1) Dunlop KT121.........AT 25x8-12........1/2" with 12x6 rims <---BRAND NEW
(2) Goodyear Tracker P........AT 25x8-12........1/2" with 12x6 rims
(2) TSL SuperSwamper........AT 25x9.5-10.....5/8" with 10x6 rims
(2) Maxxis............................AT 25x10-12......3/8"
(5) Dunlop KT847M............AT 22x10-10......3/4"
(2) TPI Holeshot HC............AT 22x7-10........1/2" with 10x5 rims
(2) Titan TurfTamer......AT 22x11-10......1/2" with 10x8 rims <--BRAND NEW

Also, I have a bunch of BRAND NEW rims to sell:
(2) 12x7.5AT Yamaha
(2) 12x6AT Yamaha
(2) 12x7.5 KMM
reinman88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-04-2011, 08:06 AM   #2
on_the_fly
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Tires and rims

The way I understand it is you can't go over a 20" tire with out a lift. I've seen a lot of 12 inch wheels on non lifted carts but they all have low pro street tires on them. And those on the sizes are like 209x11x12 something like that. ( don't quote the 209 but know it is close) there is a guy on Louisville craigslist now selling a set for 325.oo n there the 12 with low pro's he took off his cart. In you list. The 25" tires you need over 8" of lift the 22" need 3" lift and the 23" you need 6" lift but I think those will fit a 3" lift as well just might have some rubbing with heavy loads or when off road. I just lifted my cart 7 inches n I'm looks at 23x11x10's for mine
on_the_fly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 08:30 AM   #3
reinman88
Gone Wild

I guess what I'm looking for is a little more clearance without having to lift the cart. Thought the 12 inch tires would get me that. Wasn't really looking for street tread though since I'd be off road most of the time. I suppose by the time you get tall enough with a lawn tractor type tire, now you're too wide.
Old 02-04-2011, 03:21 PM   #4
BLACK DEATH
Gone Wild

Club Car

You can use any size rim, but width may be an issue as will be the tires. My 99 has a lot of clearance for 20" tires in the rear but the front may rub slightly but I havent tried it. SO any size rime just cant have a too tall tire of more than 20" on a stock car height & the width may play a role also
BLACK DEATH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 06:46 PM   #5
reinman88
Gone Wild

Found these, and it says they will fit without a lift kit. Anyone have any idea how much higher this will put the cart over standard 8 inch rims and standard cart tires.

Lug Tires & Golf Cart Wheels X Traction

Traction Golf Cart Tires - Lots of Traction!
No golf cart lift kit is needed with these tires.
Traction golf cart tires - 18x9.50-8 Ag Lug. Set of 4 -- $167.99

Traction golf cart tires - 18x9.50-8 Ag Lug. Set of 2 -- $86.99

Traction 18x9.50-8 Ag Lug mounted on steel golf cart wheels.
Set of 2 -- $109.99

Traction Package with Easy Steering
18x9.50-8 Knobby tires & Ag Lug tires mounted on your choice of centered or offset wheels. Choose Knobby ATV tires for the front and Ag Lug style for the back for lots of traction and easy steering. The rounded shape of the knobby tires in front are easy to turn. These will work with either centered or offset wheels with no lift kit being needed. Set of 4. -- $235.99

There was a picture showing the tire, but it won't copy over. I'm thinking the Lug on back and Knobby on front setup.

This should work with centered rims, but would there be an advantage to offset wheels?

Edit because I noticed these were for 8 inch rims. I had found something similar for 10 inch rims. If I went with the 8 inch rims I could use what I have, and I'm guessing I'll get some increase in clearance. But if I use the same style tire with 10 inch rims, will I get more clearance or will it be the same?
Old 02-05-2011, 06:51 PM   #6
BLACK DEATH
Gone Wild

Club Car

It will stay the same height, stock tires are 18" already
BLACK DEATH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 07:31 PM   #7
on_the_fly
Gone Wild

Club Car

Yep will stay same. Stock is 18" but if say you went with a 20" tire so it's two inches taller but half is bellow axle n other half is above axle so really you would gain one inch taller.And if you don't lift I don't think you can use an offset wheel because I don't think you can turn with offsets on the front of a nonlifted cart

Last edited by on_the_fly; 02-05-2011 at 07:34 PM.. Reason: Left out
Old 02-05-2011, 07:56 PM   #8
reinman88
Gone Wild

After going back and studying some more I saw there was no gain.

I would gain 2 inches with the 20 inch tire and 10 inch rims, but then I'd be buying 10 inch rims just to gain 1 inch of clearance. Wouldn't be worth it.

So about the only way to go would be to buy 2 Lug tires for the back with more tread for better traction, and just leave what's currently on the front for better steering. Then I suppose down the line I could pick up a pair of Knobby tires for the front to give it a more off road look.

So it looks like if I want more clearance, I'll need to add a lift kit.
Old 02-05-2011, 08:10 PM   #9
on_the_fly
Gone Wild

Club Car

There's a guy that lives down the road and he's got a non lifted cc and he's got factory tires on the front and a tractor tread tire from tractor supply store on the back. I talk to him once about it and thought of doing the same but those tires are 65 bucks each n I knew I was going to lift mine so I dint want to spend on those knowing I was going to need bigger. So that might be something to look into.
Old 02-05-2011, 08:47 PM   #10
reinman88
Gone Wild

This is the Lug tire I've been talking about. It is 18x9.5-8. Two tires are $86.99.

A pair of Knobbys the same size are $94.99

So basically for under $200 I could put two Lugs on back and two Knobbys on front.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car