lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-25-2012, 03:50 PM   #1
mpro26
Getting Wild
Club Car

Default Clutch machining question!

Can anyone give me some advice on rather this clutch is worth having machined or not? Hopefully there is enough material there to machine, because I really dont want to have to buy a new clutch. I have removed the clutch and installed the power spring, and everything else looked good inside. Thanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0911.jpg (116.9 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0912.jpg (99.2 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0913.jpg (165.8 KB, 0 views)
mpro26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-26-2012, 03:14 PM   #2
JW67
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default Re: Clutch machining question!

When I machined clutches, I did not mess with the face. I took off both sides down at the base where it is thickest. Took a worn clutch that the belt was coming up 1/2 inch from the top and machined it till the belt was coming up flush with the top of the clutch. Note: I had to machine the base to match what was there so the spring and bearing would seat back in place. And i had to make a washer to put behind the thrust washer. (big washer that pushes on the 3 arms that closes the clutch) I would call Tom at Cart Parts Plus and ask him his advise. He is a good honest man.
JW67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 05:57 PM   #3
mpro26
Getting Wild
Club Car

Thanks JW67, I will probably need to replace the clutch. The more I read about clutches, the more I realize the machining is like you described here. I agree, machining seems to be for the base, not so much for the face.
Old 03-27-2012, 10:50 AM   #4
JW67
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Well, if your going to get a new clutch, what would you have to have for your old one? I am always looking for used clutches.

When in Maintenance mode and you give it the gas, how far up the clutch does the belt come? Even a brand new clutch, there is about 3/16 to 1/4" of the clutch face left. This test is done with a newer belt. A used belt will not ride up as far.
Old 03-27-2012, 11:56 AM   #5
mpro26
Getting Wild
Club Car

My belt is only about a year old and doesnt have many hours on it. The belt comes up to about 3/4 of an inch from the top, but I also have the power spring installed in the driven clutch and the 200 rpm spring installed in the drive clutch. I read somewhere that the belt will not come up as high, with the power spring in the driven clutch. Thanks
Old 03-28-2012, 10:31 AM   #6
JW67
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

What year is your cart? On 96 1/2 and older, you can change the belt tension so it would allow it to come up further by loosening the engine and sliding it back a little bit. Putting some slack in it. But if your clutch is worn out, it still won't come up all the way. If you remove the belt and manually force the front clutch together, you can place the belt in there and see if the clutch closes far enough to drive the belt up all the way. I bet you have all kinds of torque right now. Just remember, if you get it working properly, you may loose what you like. You will gain speed by having the belt come up to the top but you will loose that mid range torque.
Old 03-28-2012, 01:21 PM   #7
mpro26
Getting Wild
Club Car

My cart is a 2000 model, so there probably isnt any adjustment of the engine distance. I havent had the torque springs installed too long, so I havent had a real chance to put it to the test. However, Im pretty sure I will be needing a new clutch soon. Thanks for the advice though! Mike
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car