lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-21-2012, 10:36 AM   #1
tjc02002
Not Yet Wild

Default Anyone ever try adding a spring in the primary clutch?

Has anyone ever tried to add a return spring to the primary clutch on a G2-G22? What i am talking about is a spring to preload the clutch in the open position so that it allows the engine to rev a little before engaging. All snowmobile clutches do this and the G1 clutch does it but the four strokes dont. Seems like an easy way to get some power and better clutching. Looks to me like you could add a light spring that would push on the clutch cover to achieve this.
tjc02002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-22-2012, 12:27 PM   #2
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

Default Re: Anyone ever try adding a spring in the primary clutch?

Haha, yes I did try it and it didn't work that well. The spring I tried was not that strong and it did help a little but not much. The problem is it hit right at full shift there is not much room in there. The cover is not tall enough to fit. I made a washer to hold a spring, one of those kind that can compress to flat inside itself. But by adding the washer under the bolt head and the spring it hit the cover at full shift. You also run into rate change more that way. I think you need to make a little can to hold a spring and mount it balanced in the center of the cover, then you can use a longer spring that changes rate much less. The other issue is you may have to tap the weights or otherwise figure out a safe way to manipulate their weight in order to tune it. That was my next step but no time to play with it, then I broke a weight just bought some used ones to fix it. Since my sheave is about shot I plan to buy a new aftermarket clutch next spring.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 12:33 PM   #3
tjc02002
Not Yet Wild

I went to the hardware store and there werent any springs that looked right for the application. Im gonna try Home Depot but I see what you are talking about. I have an OEM G16 primary clutch and it looks almost like it was made for a spring. The secondary spring is approximately the right diameter but would have to be softer and compress almost fully as to not bind up. If I find a good spring I will try it.
Old 11-27-2012, 09:07 PM   #4
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

I have the G9 clutch, it was certainly not made for any springs. I ordered my spring from McMasters.
Old 12-04-2012, 02:09 PM   #5
tjc02002
Not Yet Wild

Sho, do you remember what spring you ordered from McMasters? You said it was not strong enough, so that would be a good reference for me to order one a little stronger.

Yeah, the G16 clutch has a recess right under the head of the bolt, looks like a spring seat. Still probably not much room to compress the spring at full clutch, but maybe just enough.
Old 12-04-2012, 10:28 PM   #6
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

1692k44
Old 12-05-2012, 10:20 AM   #7
tjc02002
Not Yet Wild

Thank you!

If you dont mind, could you possibly elaborate a little on your experience with this spring. Was it much too soft? The spring you listed is 9lbs, and you can get the 15lb one. Or there is a 3" long spring in 20lbs. Do you think the 15lb spring would be too much? Did the cart idle without trying to move forward with this spring? Any advice would be awesome because I really want to try it and having this as a starting point is really helpful.
Old 12-05-2012, 10:51 PM   #8
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

Problem was it had little force at idle it barely pushed it out. But at full shift it had max force. This is not ideal, you need a longer spring outside the clutch that has less change in force. So you need a much longer spring on it that only changes half or less its length (or spring rate). This one goes from say 75% length to 10%, you need 80% to 50% or whatever. I bet normal comet springs are ideal but odds are they are too strong. The weights in this clutch were not intended to have a spring against them, so strength should be much less than comets....but more than what I had. I would guess less than what mine did at full compression, at full shift. Not sure about at idle maybe half that or something. It will be trial and error.
Old 12-06-2012, 08:52 AM   #9
tjc02002
Not Yet Wild

Thank you very much for this! I really need to see how much room is in my clutch cover at full shift. probably less than an inch which is going to result in the same problem you had, but maybe it will be just enough. I am thinking about ordering 3" spring instead of the 2.5" one you ordered. this would put more pressure at idle. Anyway, your experience is a great help.

-Tom
Old 12-06-2012, 10:03 PM   #10
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

Right, need a longer spring and use less of it so the rate stays more the same instead of changing so much to hard at full shift and little at idle. I thought of mounting a tube in the center of the cover with a spring in it that was longer.

Unless you can figure out a spring that will pull the weights back. Once I wondered about putting screws in the weights then big rubber bands around all 3 screws lol, but rubber does not last that long. Anyway, the weights don't move that far out so the tension on them would not change that much. Also have to remember that stuff is flying around in there if you put something in that is not in the center. You may also have to make the weights heavier to work right with the spring.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha