lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-13-2021, 09:45 AM   #31
Jammy
Getting Wild
Yamaha

Default Re: New to me J38 with issues..it begins now...

Quote:
Originally Posted by slonomo View Post
Rebuilding a cart is not cheap, that's the downside. The upside is that you will know exactly what has been done and you are learning a ton about it. When you own one cart for a long time, you become one with it. Once you get it running good, you'll be happy. And you'll have the satisfaction of knowing that you did the work and achieved something.

Thanks SLONOMO, I need encouragement to be able to continue rebuilding this one. I think I'm going to have to replace the seat framing, if I can find materials or a better used one local. I spotted a G2 next to a garage, grass grown up around it. I will check it out next week to see if I can use it as a donor cart.

Buying a newer, more expensive cart isn't always a sure thing either. I've seen some carts that needed almost as much work as my old buggie. You could buy a $2500 cart and still have to go through it and spend some money. Now you're into the cart for $3500. So, it's not always roses.

Vehicles are like this. If you plan to keep it and use it, it's worth putting money into it. If you plan to get rid of it, it's probably not worth it. Flipping vehicles for profit is not easy either. You'll win on some, but loose on some too. At some point you get so far into a project that you hate to stop and waste all that time and money.

Great advice.

I think of golf carts like this. It's a hobby. Hobbies cost money. If you can break even or make a couple bucks, then it's worth doing.....as long as you enjoy it.

I am trying to get it into good enough shape to be able to ride it anytime, anywhere and not have it leaving me stranded! I hope someday it serves this purpose. I did pick up a set of 'take off' 205/65-10 wheels and tires. I have not put them on the cart yet but will once I get it moving again.

Keep up the words of encouragement! Plowman should be sending the parts next week and I will have more questions than answers. I may even start a new thread and call it a rebuild thread(good idea?). I am looking forward to the project.

It is nearing the end of the 80th Daytona Bike Week 2021. My wife and I are celebrating, after 11 months of isolation, the fact that we are both vaccinated and able to socialize again. So we are going to our old haunts and seeing friends that we had not visited with in almost a year. Great times ahead too!
Jammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-15-2021, 06:34 PM   #32
Jammy
Getting Wild
Yamaha

I got the call from Plowman's today, my parts are in the mail and will be here 3/18.

No excuse now that I will have all the parts and tools I need to work on it. I hope my old body is up to the challenge!
Old 03-23-2021, 12:46 AM   #33
Jammy
Getting Wild
Yamaha

First box of parts arrived and the others will be here this Thursday. I need to get a bearing puller, coming tomorrow, and if I can't pull the governor and helical gear off the old input shaft... I will need to go to a local shop to have them pressed off and then onto the new input shaft.

I need to fabricate 2 ears for the transmission mounts, which are broken. and put it all together. Having fun in the sun!!!
Old 05-23-2021, 12:11 AM   #34
Jammy
Getting Wild
Yamaha

All of the parts from Plowman's Carts were recieved and installed and my cart is running well.
I ended up replacing input shaft, welding new differential mounts, new rear air shocks, new throttle cables, new clutches (custom set by plowmans to tow my boats?, new belts, centering clamp, wheels and tires. I also have painted the cart and put on sest covers.

Todays ride i noticed oil drops from exhaust...... next issue??

Last edited by Jammy; 05-23-2021 at 12:49 AM.. Reason: Add photo
Old 05-23-2021, 09:52 AM   #35
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Oil from the exhaust? Is it smoking?
slonomo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2021, 06:51 PM   #36
Jammy
Getting Wild
Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by slonomo View Post
Oil from the exhaust? Is it smoking?
Hi SLO,
It doesn't appear yo be smoking. I had a bend in my exhaust, from outlet i added a rubber pc and another pipe whixh was routed over rear swing arm and out the back about even with the bumper. The exhaust was too hot for the rubber adapter ( getting steel one this week), so it melted and oil dripped out of the exhaust pipe. As i was backing into my carport.

My cart is still a little rich, the exhaust fumes are bad but i dont see smoke. Otherthan this minor delema, i noted the compression dropped to 90 psi. Might be a ring problem?
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha