lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-16-2015, 07:55 PM   #1
gookdog
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default 92 yamaha g9a won't run please help

Here's what happen we was riding along and it stopped run as if it lost all power and would only turn by the starter/generator it wouldn't fire up pulled it back to camp let it sit over night it fired up and ran for a few mins then died agian then it only run for a about 30 seconds and cuts out and just spins now it won't spin the motor over at all. I checked the battery got 12.7 volts I checked the stop switch multiple times in a row and get the same voltage as battery every time. So the I checked the starter solenoid I can hear it click I got 12.7 volts on the one big post one the red wire coming from the stop switch I get 6.4 volts and on the black wire I get the same 6.4 volts I also get 6.4 to 7 volts out of the other post on the starter solenoid so I checked the starter Gen wires I got 12.7 on the ground you can see it try to turn but it's only like maybe a quarter inch then stops I can turn by hand and feel the compression stroke when it gets there. I checked the voltage regulator and found wires melted the black and green wire and the back up buzzer wires were melted also. I'm just curious as to what else to check and if I did all my checks so far the right way. Any help will be nice.

Thanks James
gookdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-16-2015, 08:31 PM   #2
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

Default Re: 92 yamaha g9a won't run please help

Never heard much about melted wires with these, does it have the correct 10A fuses in it? It is very common to have connection problems with these, any connection including ground wires. If you see partial voltage like that its likely a bad ground, all grounds are wired. Problems with the VR can make it not run, but it would still turn over on the starter. Also double check the battery cables very common for those to act strange with connection issues.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 08:51 PM   #3
gookdog
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

I only seen where the one fuse goes and it's a 10. I think what happen was the back up buzzer burned out and melted the wires all still have current flow when the pedal is push if this is correct. I will check all ground wires now to just make sure are all the grounds on thus cart black like a normal ground and I will clean up the post on the battery aslo. I will post back with the results from this I was thinking of pulling the harness and checking all the wires.
Old 06-17-2015, 06:16 PM   #4
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

Most have a fuse in the positive wire and another in the ground wire, small wires, usually a rubber thing.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 06:02 PM   #5
gookdog
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Unwired the starter/generator today and hit the gas pedal and get full voltage at the solenoid now. I did the starter Gen test and it wouldn't turn over it is kinda hard to turn by hand I can hear it making a dragging noise I pulled the inspection rubbers and looked in and it is very very black inside. Was wondering how hard it is to rebuild it or just find a used one that works?
Old 06-19-2015, 10:22 PM   #6
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Are the brushes worn down past the brush holders they ride in. If it only needs brushes, its very easy, if the commutator is burned, it will need to go to a starter/alternator rebuild shop for service. A good new starter/generator is pretty expensive, and a "affordable" chinese knock-off isnt a good one.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha